Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal cure for alcohol addiction page 7

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    And are you happy being this way?

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    And are you happy being this way?
    For the most part yes but then again I am Irish.

Sorry I don't know what that means.
    Wanting to change is part of it yes, but its not the only thing that is going to stop most people.
    I hope at least for families sake you can stop. My dad has been a drunk for over 30 years, yes he manages to work and function, and I know he will never stop. It was not pleasant growing up with a father like that. Anyway. Good luck with it.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Sorry I don't know what that means.
    Wanting to change is part of it yes, but its not the only thing that is going to stop most people.
    I hope at least for families sake you can stop. My dad has been a drunk for over 30 years, yes he manages to work and function, and I know he will never stop. It was not pleasant growing up with a father like that. Anyway. Good luck with it.
    It means it is part of who I am. I will not do anything to hurt my son so at the first hint that my habit is causing him harm I will make the necessary changes.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Being Irish does not make you an alcoholic. If by co-incedence you are an alcoholic and Irish, you probably aren't happy.
    Life. Be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    It means it is part of who I am. I will not do anything to hurt my son so at the first hint that my habit is causing him harm I will make the necessary changes.
    sorry but basing what I remember from growing up with my dad, he had no idea who he was hurting while he was drinking. Do you not think him seeing you drunk (or does he never?) wont be hurting him? kids aren't silly, they see what is going on even if you think not.
    I really do wish you all the best, honestly.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 02-02-2013 at 12:31 AM.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Well I guess everyone is done with this thread but, what the hell,

whitebear I was with you that in a sense, it's as simple as stopping, insofar as the actual stopping is incredibly difficult. I don't know anything about nutritionally/supplementally-based "cures" for addictions, but I have family members who have overcome addictions, are struggling with addictions currently, and have died from addictions. The only approach I'm familiar with is getting the person in a controlled environment, whether that's as simple as not letting them buy a bottle of wine everyday, or sending them to a rehab center. In either case it's only a solution until they buy the next bottle or use the next needle. There's no way to fix a relationship to heroin that involves heroin. Maybe it's not the same for alcohol, but for everyone, i.e. could it really be the case that there's no such thing as "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic"?

I can understand that someone saying it all comes back to you needing to make up your mind not to do it is offensive. But an addict is, in a sense, weak-willed with respect to their chosen poison. It's not a value judgment. On the flip side, the notion that an addiction could be cured nutritionally can also be seen as belittling the problem. I mean what should a heroin addict have done differently to save his life?

So whitebear it strikes me when you say you'll stop at the first hint that it's hurting your son. In my experience addicts usually can't help but hurt the people they love. If you really can, then that's great. I don't know anything about you, or you son, and I'm not picking a fight, but I wonder if you could be causing him hurt already and without realizing it.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    Self-deception is one of the hallmarks of an alcoholic. What is the problem...I am not hurting anyone but myself? All the while the ones who love them the most are being slowly destroyed in the most painful way imaginable.

Whitebear, keep on drinking if you want to. But PLEASE stop thinking that it is not hurting your son. You are damaging him for life.

Woodriff.Dison is offline Junior Member
    This is one of my old habits that keeps tempting me. It's hard when you git friends that looks so happy while drinking. What do you guys do to resist it?

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodriff.Dison View Post
    This is one of my old habits that keeps tempting me. It's hard when you git friends that looks so happy while drinking. What do you guys do to resist it?
    Think it all the way through and be honest. Are you going to have just a few drinks, be jolly and make sure you are sober before you drive home? Or, are you going to get totally drunk and/or black-out and endanger yourself and/or others, even if you promised yourself you were only going to have a few drinks? How will you feel the next morning? Full of regret and remorse that it happened again even though you were fully committed to not let it happen? Will you be in a panic because you can't remember how you got home? Will you rush out to your garage with head banging and sick stomach to make sure you did not side-swipe anybody? Yes, think it all the way through carefully and honestly.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast