Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal cure for alcohol addiction page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Now you have totally exposed yourself as an uninformed, misguided troll. If you knew even the slightest bit about alcoholism you would realize how stupid and unanswerable your last question is.
    His bro is an alcoholic. His response is not atypical of the family of an addict. They get frustrated and just want the person to "sort it out".
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    No, I quit long before fixing my eating. I drank to die. Drank until I blacked out every night, woke up, begged for enough money to do it again, and woke up disappointed I was still alive the next day. Black velvet, vodka, infinite beer at parties, Steel Reserve 411, Old English, etc. Walking around town half naked at 2:00 AM, cops always hauling me in. Got arrested enough times, they finally offered me rehab. Lived there a month, let them reprogram my brain, and have lived well since. Sober 8 years. One relapse, but I had the tools to realize what went wrong and it hasn't happened since. I never knew all those things I never knew until I was forced to learn them. Did you know some people actually make plans and set goals for their lives instead of just being alive? It's really weird.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 02-01-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    His bro is an alcoholic. His response is not atypical of the family of an addict. They get frustrated and just want the person to "sort it out".
    Maybe so but does not change my point. It is like asking a clinically depressed person, "why don't you just cheer-up or why are you so sad?" The fact that his bro is an alcoholic makes his question more objectionable. Hey Zach, did you ever go to Al-Anon?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Maybe so but does not change my point. It is like asking a clinically depressed person, "why don't you just cheer-up or why are you so sad?" The fact that his bro is an alcoholic makes his question more objectionable. Hey Zach, did you ever go to Al-Anon?
    Lol - I actually had the exact same dialogue with him on a thread about binging two days ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I had the tools to realize what went wrong
    I'm paraphrasing what you're saying here but it's brilliant. I think this is the key to recovery: Recognising and understanding the pattern.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Here is one more book:

Trimpey's Rational Recovery. I struggle with compulsive overeating. I'm not cured. But this book has given me tools and a sense of empowerment and understanding that OA, counseling, VLC, etc couldn't.

tiva is offline Junior Member
    I think nutritional support (ie, paleo) can be an important part of recovery from alcoholism, even if it's not a cure.

In the boreal First Nations communities that I work with, there's a lot of interest in traditional foods and the links between carbohydrate and alcohol metabolism. There's not much firm research yet, but plenty of folks suspect that tendencies toward alcoholism are linked with issues with carbohydrate metabolism, so a return to traditional foods can help in both prevention and recovery. Good luck!

katemary is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if this will make sense. I gave up smoking and drinking nightly, by going to a health retreat. That's where a naturopath pointed out I don't eat meals, I eat sandwiches. So when I came back, I sustained the abstinence from alcohol and smoking (knowing drinking would make me lose my resolve re smoking) and I started primal. It was the combination of the "cleaness" that forced me to keep going, whereas for the previous years I would be hardpressed to think of 3 days in a year I didnt go to bed drunk.

When I fell off the drinking, I fell off primal. For a good year. Now, as I struggle to adhere to primal again, I know alcohol is part of that - I cannot deal with hangovers and maintain the primal food. So a good part for me is that primal means alcohol free, it is clean and knowing I need to stick to primal helps me just dismiss the urge to drink. Bad part is - I fall off (usually stress leads to self sabotage) and I eat crap. So they are associated for me. I think the willpower to eat clean, the clear head, the energy, being less anxious, having more stable moods when primal, maybe even lack of carb cravings, makes it easier to refrain from drinking. My primal periods are the only periods I don't drink.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense. I wish you luck with the struggle and glad to swap tips anytime.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    No, I quit long before fixing my eating. I drank to die. Drank until I blacked out every night, woke up, begged for enough money to do it again, and woke up disappointed I was still alive the next day. Black velvet, vodka, infinite beer at parties, Steel Reserve 411, Old English, etc. Walking around town half naked at 2:00 AM, cops always hauling me in. Got arrested enough times, they finally offered me rehab. Lived there a month, let them reprogram my brain, and have lived well since. Sober 8 years. One relapse, but I had the tools to realize what went wrong and it hasn't happened since. I never knew all those things I never knew until I was forced to learn them. Did you know some people actually make plans and set goals for their lives instead of just being alive? It's really weird.
    Knifegill: Your situation/story is humbling and very inspirational. You must be a very strong person to have confronted these challenges. It takes courage and action to make changes and many people never succeed. Thank you for sharing this with us. We never quite know the shoes that someone else has walked in. Best/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Navajo is offline Member
    Yes, I have. Went through over 1 GAL of liquor a week even while on Primal (no weight loss, duh! Wonder why? HA!)

I stumbled onto Allen Carr's book Easyway to stop drinking and quit after finishing the book (the second time). NO cravings whatsoever and I have NO IDEA what to do with all my spare time and energy.

No, I am in no way associated with the author or book and actually found the suggestion here on MDA somewhere, but it has saved my life.

I wish you all the luck in the world with this!

If I can find the post again, I'll come back and link it.

EDITED TO ADD LINK: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post741632

I need to send Jo a PM and thank her! Thanks for reminding me!
    Last edited by Navajo; 03-26-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm also a heavy social drinker -- 3 nights a week at the bar getting drunk. It was the desire to keep Primal that prompted me to quit drinking in January (not forever, just January). I've done sober months before but this time was a lot easier. Some of it was probably diet but a big part of it was that I my life was a little more food-centric -- shop for food, prepared food, eat food, wash dishes. But that's the point of being an animal, isn't it?

Anothing thing: I don't accept the AA model. If it works for you, fine. But I have some problems. First, as adults we learn to accept that not everything's black and white. But in AA, a middle-aged woman who needs her evening glass of wine is an "alcoholic" the same as dude who blacks out nightly.

And the word "alcoholic" is abused as well. It's a clinical word that means literally addicted to alcohol, i.e. you go through DT's if you stop drinking. There are a ton of people who have drinking dependencies who aren't "alcoholics", it's time to stop the labelling.

In a book on Rational Recovery, I took a test that had me at "low-level dependency". Fair enough. "Low level" sounds good (and right) but I'm not totally off the hook because of that "dependency" part. But imagine -- levels of dependency. Under the AA-model, I wasn't allowed that. It's all or nothing. Admit to "alcoholism", submit to a "higher power", change your life completely around or.....live in "denial".

Anyhow February's here and I'm looking at sprinking back in some social drinking and I'm proceeding with caution. Although I really enjoyed my time away from alcohol, after three weeks I was getting a little bored (I'm single and all my friends drink). So here I go. But at least I know that I can be content without out and I don't have to worry about being a big, bad "alcoholic".

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast