Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift question - when you miss your deadlift page 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, in my mind that reinforces the "not enough recovery time" hypothesis, but others may interpret it differently.
    I'd agree.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    My deadlift peaks once a month. Sometimes you just have bad days at the gym.

You could try putting deadlifts before squats on the second day, and then go lighter on the squats since you tried so hard on Monday.

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I failed my lift because I couldn't lift it. So far grip seems to be improving at the same rate as the lift itself. I can lift overhand on my warmups what I had to do with alternating grip when they were the work weights.

I suppose I failed because I've finally bumped up against what is truly difficult for me. I started so far down the scale on all my lifts that it's taken me about 2 or 3 months to reach weights that are truly very hard for me, that push me to my limits.
    I'm in a similar place -- only started lifting heavy, bar bells only (no machines) about a year ago. I started with weights that were easy to handle to get form right. Now I'm getting to weights that are challenging for me. for the last few months I've had to take a week off every three weeks of lifting. It seems I've reached the point where I should not dead lift every week.

I think this is where "listen to your body" takes affect.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    I bet you people aren't consuming enough calories to follow a strength program, and neuromuscular adaptation will only take you so far. No calories, no recovery, no mass gain - and consequently no progression.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I eat like a man (and I'm a woman). The other night I went out to dinner with my boyfriend and another guy and they had dainty little burgers and fries but I had a 1lb pork chop with sweet potato mash and grilled vegetables. This morning for breakfast I had a large potato, quarter pound of liver, onions and two eggs. I eat like this all the time. I eat well.

My deadlift is above body weight so I expect it to be hard. I might try to move my deadlift day to the day I do bench press instead of the day I do overhead press. I'm okay with having to redo work weights now and then. It took me my whole life to get this weak, I've got the rest of my life to work on strength. No rush.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm okay with having to redo work weights now and then. It took me my whole life to get this weak, I've got the rest of my life to work on strength. No rush.
    You have the right mindset, sbhikes. But keep in mind that most strength programs are designed to improve strength even at the expense of aesthetics. Heck, even Rippetoe mentions that you should find a different program if you want to look like an Abercrombie model. Unfortunately, most people will take aesthetics over strength and end up getting frustrated with strength programs such as Starting Strength because they can't keep up with the progression schemes for more than six to ten weeks. Sad, really.

Just a quick question: How much weight have you gained while following your modified Starting Strength program?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To avoid triggering any kind of body image issues, I have not weighed myself since starting the program. I may have gained a little fat, but not much. This is my silhouette.

I'm really happy with my newfound strength. I was able to go on a trail working trip this weekend and cut and saw small trees and throw them up and over the wall of chaparral for many hours of solid work. The program is definitely working, but at a slowish pace compared to a younger person, which I am fine with. Probably my once-a-week sprints and my once-a-week day hike slow things down, and definitely this weekend is going to wreck most gains for this week. It really killed me to work that hard but it was awesome being able to.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123