Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift question - when you miss your deadlift page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Are you still deadlifting every other workout? Might be too much for you. Maybe time to cut back to once every other week.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    For me, the exercise is over when I hit positive failure. I usually reduce the weight by approximately 10% the following workout and spend the next three or four weeks building up to a new personal record attempt. That's by far the most convenient way for me to make sure I leave a few repetitions in the tank when I work out.

This should make an interesting discussion though. I'm sure Forever Young will point out how detrimental it is to my training that I deliberately try not to go to positive failure when I work out.
    I'm not FY, but I am a sort of HIT guy. But, I'm no fan of doing deadlifts to failure. I think that if your going to do these more technical lifts (squats and deadlifts) you need to leave one or two reps in the tank. The fatigue factor sets in and just leaves you far more susceptible to injury IMO.

When I do deadlifts I only do deadlifts. I get about as much out of it as I can without breaking form and thats my whole workout for that day.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-01-2013 at 01:02 PM.

mrhtower is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

It's not like I'm on a stall on these just yet. I simply was not able to lift 150lbs with two tries. I did scale back to 135 and did my 5 reps but I kinda wondered if that was the best thing to do.
    Besides what I said earlier concerning dead lifting at your best, there is nothing wrong with doing that.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Why are you failing your deadlifts? Is it your grip, or that you really can't lift it? I fail more on grip than lifting strength these days, so I don't worry about it too much, since I'm also doing stronglifts. The squats will get the legs for the day, and if my grip fails it's not really a big deal.

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Are you still deadlifting every other workout? Might be too much for you. Maybe time to cut back to once every other week.
    I had similar problem this week. Tuesday couldn't dead lift the same weight I did the previous Thursday. Giving it a week off.

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    Another idea could be to break up your 5 reps to multiple sets. You could do a couple of triples or three doubles. Would keep you more fresh. I've reached the point where I can't do all out sets anymore. In fact, I find it best to leave at least 3 reps in the tank.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I failed my lift because I couldn't lift it. So far grip seems to be improving at the same rate as the lift itself. I can lift overhand on my warmups what I had to do with alternating grip when they were the work weights.

I suppose I failed because I've finally bumped up against what is truly difficult for me. I started so far down the scale on all my lifts that it's taken me about 2 or 3 months to reach weights that are truly very hard for me, that push me to my limits.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

I failed my lift because I couldn't lift it. So far grip seems to be improving at the same rate as the lift itself. I can lift overhand on my warmups what I had to do with alternating grip when they were the work weights.

I suppose I failed because I've finally bumped up against what is truly difficult for me. I started so far down the scale on all my lifts that it's taken me about 2 or 3 months to reach weights that are truly very hard for me, that push me to my limits.
    Did you fail the 145 lift miserably one workout and then pull all 5 reps the next workout? I re-state my objection to your deadlifting frequency in light of that and the above. Pull once every other week.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I could not lift 145 at all, then the next week I miraculously lifted it 5 times.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Yeah, I could not lift 145 at all, then the next week I miraculously lifted it 5 times.
    Well, in my mind that reinforces the "not enough recovery time" hypothesis, but others may interpret it differently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast