Thread: Names for Gluten page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Names for Gluten

Shop Now
    Here at California Naturopathic Clinic we have had several posts in the past dealing with gluten and gluten avoidance. In response, many of you shared how eating a gluten-free diet helped to change your life when nothing else worked. But as you may very well know, avoiding gluten can be a very difficult task. Beyond being a major component of wheat, gluten has a widespread use and is used in a large number of processed food products. So the key to successfully avoiding gluten is to be made aware of all of its hidden sources. While some food labels may list gluten as an ingredient, others refer to it by other names. Here is a list of food products and additives that you need to watch out for if you are serious about living a gluten-free lifestyle:

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
    Malt or malt flavoring
    Modified starch or modified food starch
    Monoglycerides and diglycerides
    Products that list “natural” or “artificial” flavorings
    Red or yellow food dyes
    Vegetable gum or vegetable protein

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    There aren't any "hidden sources" of gluten if you eat 100% whole foods and only touch pre-made food if you know what's in it (like my canned fish: 55% sprat, 44% olive-oil, 1% plain salt).
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    There aren't any "hidden sources" of gluten if you eat 100% whole foods and only touch pre-made food if you know what's in it (like my canned fish: 55% sprat, 44% olive-oil, 1% plain salt).
    perfect answer

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    That says it all.

For restaurant food - you will need to find some place that actually cooks fresh. We have one such spot - a ways from here is a giant health food store with a restaurant in its mezzanine. They cook fresh each and every time, source ingredients EXCLUSIVELY from the store downstairs, and if you ask the server, s/he will tell you what is in something, by brand name, after about a 90 second check in the kitchen. The only place where my SCD kid, my gluten-free & dairy-free kid, my Picky Princess kid, my plain-food-preferred kid, a big-eating hubby, and the trying-hard Primal wife ALL come out of there smiling and feeling good after dinner! Oh - and full!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
    Malt or malt flavoring
    Modified starch or modified food starch
    Monoglycerides and diglycerides
    Products that list “natural” or “artificial” flavorings
    Red or yellow food dyes
    Vegetable gum or vegetable protein
    you want to back any of that bullshit up? cause a whole lot of that is wrong.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    Well, they're all undesirable or at least sub-optimal. But yeah, most of that list is "bad" for reasons other than gluten content.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jakey! I'm not here to back up the OP, but malt, for example, is almost always a barley product/process, and the Big Three for celiacs are wheat, barley, and rye.

I wouldn't want any of the rest of the list for lotsa other reasons, but...

What am I missing?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    No, not particularly. I'm just sharing what I read from the named source. I've been reading lables lately, and truly, I don't know what a lot of the words really mean. I found one bottle of "Fish Oil - Omega-3" and the second ingredient on the label was Soybean Oil ( which I understand to contain Omega-6 in quantity). That's pretty crazy.

For example, what is "food starch"? How do they make or process it. Where did it come from. I only want to make sure that I'm eating real nutrients, and I am in the learning stage.