Thread: How does paleo 'movement' connect with healthy natural world? page

Aili is offline Senior Member

How does paleo 'movement' connect with healthy natural world?

Shop Now
    I am convinced that applying paleolithic principles to our foodways would benefit the health of all. Working with and for Indigenous Peoples for many years has regularly reminded me that true health cannot be fully achieved unless our families, communities and natural world are also healthy. It also connects not only to the the mental, physical and emotional dimensions of a person but also, the spiritual (one thread recently talked about this, sorry, can't find).
    For my family and many friends, eating is closely tied to the forest and gardens that surround us. Ditching grains (serious fresh whole grain bread addiction!), legumes (never a fan so easy to do), etc. shifted the foodway for me naturally into paleo. Along with most others, I have experienced substantial health benefits (e.g. GERD and inflammation gone).
    At the same time, I am deeply concerned about many environmental concerns (here in Canada right now erasing the protection of water, mono-culturing of foods, the ever increasing corporatism of foods, pollution, oil sands, Indigenous rights, etc.). The Idle No More movement began among four women here in Saskatchewan, around these same issues.
    I got thinking about all this and thought to ask you folks what you think. How does this all connect, or should it be connected? Is so, how?
    Last edited by Aili; 01-31-2013 at 12:55 PM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Every now and then a thread pops up where someone says Primal or Paleo has led them to a simpler life. Maybe less consumerism. Minimalism in footwear, furniture and life in general. Every now and then someone starts a thread on hunting or fishing or foraging. Hunters tend to be environmentalists. How can you not want to protect a source of food? People get concerned about xenoestrogens and worried about plastic. I'm sure that leads to examining the role of excess plastic and packaging in their life. All this stuff totally is linked but a lot of people here think environmentalism is associated with being a liberal in politics so even using words like "environmentalism" can cause some people to get a little ranty.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Every now and then a thread pops up where someone says Primal or Paleo has led them to a simpler life. Maybe less consumerism. Minimalism in footwear, furniture and life in general.
    This is the case for us.

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    All this stuff totally is linked but a lot of people here think environmentalism is associated with being a liberal in politics so even using words like "environmentalism" can cause some people to get a little ranty.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have observed a similar trend in politics were certain issues that I'm not sure have anything to do with a right/left paradigm get shoved onto one side or the other. I mean Madison Grant was an environmentalist, but he certainly wasn't a leftist.

But to address the question, I guess the first step is to take personal steps to reconnect with nature and the earth. A large scale push in this direction seems unlikely to me since it requires the conscientious effort of most people on earth.
    Last edited by saturnfan; 01-31-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

Aili is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    This is the case for us.
    I'd say that for us, we have been as close to paleo /primal as possible for decades although it was not called that and it was just how we lived, with the exception of grains and legumes (I am still amazed as to the negative role they had in my life). Once I quit them(Hubby still has maybe one slice of bread every day or two) it was close to paleo right away (we have local Gouda cheese from a friend). I know we have access to quality foods, but that is not a guarantee and it certainly is not the case for most people.