Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength training dilemma page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Strength training dilemma

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing starting strength for about 7 months before 'injuring" my back about 1-2 months ago. Most likely due to improper squat and deadlift form (butt rising too early). I wanted to keep a bit of volume in my training so I pickup up p.h.a.t (combination of strength training and bodybuilding). I continued to do leg press in order to keep as much muscle as possible in my legs. However right now I'm recovered from my back pain and I have started squatting and deadlifting again with proper form (I hope). But now I'm doubting between going back to SS or doing my own version of p.h.a.t. Which is basically also doing press, bench, squat, and deadlifts 3x5 3x a week but just on separate days and with some other exercises like dumbbell bench press, press, bent over rows, leg press etc. afterwards.
    What do you think? Go back to SS or keep doing what I'm doing now.
    Billie trips balls

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You can probably do nearly anything and make good progress. You're at that age. If you want to get the most possible out of it, many of us like Starting Strength for novices like yourself.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Like RichM said anything that is done with good intensity will get you results. I think once you have a feel for how you respond to strength training you can monkey around with making up your own program. Just be a real stickler on your form no matter what. Though shalt not hurt thyself lifting weights... It's a commandment cause I said it in my Old Testament voice.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    How much weight have you gained? How much food have you been eating? How many pounds did you add to your squat? How is your recovery....after 7 months you should be moving into an advanced novice program...assuming you've been eating.

You can do accessory work with SS as well.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    The only advice I can give is to start light, and progress regularly by small increments. I used to always want to load the bar beyond what I should be lifting.

Starting light gets you practiced in the correct technique, and it is the progression that makes you stronger.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    How much weight have you gained? How much food have you been eating? How many pounds did you add to your squat? How is your recovery....after 7 months you should be moving into an advanced novice program...assuming you've been eating.

He kept preventatively deloading and otherwise NDTP. Got to reasonably respectable numbers, but still had plenty of linear progress to make.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Go on the Starting Strength forums and ask Mark Rippetoe to critique your squat and deadlift form. He will probably hurt your feelings, but his advice will be superior

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Go on the Starting Strength forums and ask Mark Rippetoe to critique your squat and deadlift form. He will probably hurt your feelings, but his advice will be superior
    This guy drinks his kool aid from the same pitcher as I do, Gadsie. I vote you listen to him.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I think we all drink from Uncle Rip's fire hydrant of knowledge.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post

I gained 45 pounds in those 7 months or so. However that's from anorexic to 170 lbs. I'm pretty sure I should it eat more. But the reason I'm only eating at at a slight surplus is because of the little sleep I get. If sleep is so important to building muscle, then eating more doesn't make sense to me since my body won't be able to turn it all into muscle anyway. So, U'm gaining weight. But not at an ideal rate
    Billie trips balls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast