Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength training dilemma page 2

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Go on the Starting Strength forums and ask Mark Rippetoe to critique your squat and deadlift form. He will probably hurt your feelings, but his advice will be superior
    He will move my form check to another section, unfortunately
    Billie trips balls

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    So you're 215 now? That's sounds pretty legit, how tall are you again?

Most importantly how big is your squat? And are you able to add at least 5-10 pounds/week doing SS. If you are then keep doing what you're doing. If not, AND you're eating enough, and getting a reasonable amount of rest, THEN it might be time to change your program.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    So you're 215 now? That's sounds pretty legit, how tall are you again?

Most importantly how big is your squat? And are you able to add at least 5-10 pounds/week doing SS. If you are then keep doing what you're doing. If not, AND you're eating enough, and getting a reasonable amount of rest, THEN it might be time to change your program.
    No, he started out at like 130 and went up to 175. And he was successfully completing the lifts every time he added 5 lbs, but kept deloading because he didn't feel that it was easy or his form was good enough, despite my repeated admonitions.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    HAHA that's a whole different story lol. I vaguely remember the argument about deloading.

Well sounds like SS is/was working, so keeping doing it. Minus the deloads. Warm up sets should have good technique, when you're close or at your max it's never going to look perfect.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    No, he started out at like 130 and went up to 175. And he was successfully completing the lifts every time he added 5 lbs, but kept deloading because he didn't feel that it was easy or his form was good enough, despite my repeated admonitions.
    Well I listened, but I injured my lower back. Not saying it's your fault, just saying that being careful while adding weight is apparently useful.
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    HAHA that's a whole different story lol. I vaguely remember the argument about deloading.

Well sounds like SS is/was working, so keeping doing it. Minus the deloads. Warm up sets should have good technique, when you're close or at your max it's never going to look perfect.
    yeah, today I was doing another SS/p.h.a.t workout when I thought, F it I'm cutting the bullshit and just get back to the real lifts. So I'm 100% SS again.
    Billie trips balls

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Well I listened, but I injured my lower back. Not saying it's your fault, just saying that being careful while adding weight is apparently useful.
    Being careful while lifting is one of the core tenets of Starting Strength. Case in point, look how much of the book is devoted to proper form.

Injuries ultimately happen to everyone who's willing to work hard and grind reps out. So does progress. Ultimately you have to make your own decision whether the latter is sufficient to justify the former.

I think you made a good call. Start at a reasonable level, and keep your form super tight as the weights start to add up again.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Being careful while lifting is one of the core tenets of Starting Strength. Case in point, look how much of the book is devoted to proper form.

Injuries ultimately happen to everyone who's willing to work hard and grind reps out. So does progress. Ultimately you have to make your own decision whether the latter is sufficient to justify the former.

I think you made a good call. Start at a reasonable level, and keep your form super tight as the weights start to add up again.
    I don't care about the injury itself at all. I simply do not want to get all crippled or being forced to lay off lifting for a long amount of time
    Billie trips balls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12