Thread: How detrimental are my compramises on seasonal, local and organic produce. page

Kram is offline Junior Member

How detrimental are my compramises on seasonal, local and organic produce.

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I'm new to PB but have always eaten plenty of fresh fruit and veg. Obviously the ideal is to eat local, seasonal and organic produce. Unfortunately, living in a cold northern european climate, this isn't always practical. Local is normally the first to bite the bullet and if I stuck to seasonal, I'd only eat fruit in the summer and I'd miss out on lots of variety. Quite often the only one of the three I get is organic and sometimes even that is a problem. My thinking is Grok would have probably moved to Spain if he were me but that's not an option.

I assume that I'm still much better off with any fruit and veg and eating primally but how detrimental are these compromises likely to be long term? Do any experienced PB exponents living in the UK, Ireland or Scandinavia have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Kram
    Last edited by Kram; 04-25-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typos

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yes and no....
    I'm in the UK, and I must say that having the chance to grow my own veg means I'm looking at far more varieties - which means more things in different seasons. So instead of winter being a wasteland of leek and parsnip, I'm planting sprouting broccoli, kale, winter salad leaves (e.g. lamb's lettuce), beets..... etc etc.
    Personally I don't eat much fruit anyway, but won't be saying no to fresh berries in season
    Local tends to be best mainly because it should be freshest. Maybe consider frozen veg? I'm not too bothered about organic - ideally yes, but other things get in the way. Fresh and conventional is better than ancient-but-local, in my view.
    I think it's a minor concern compared to the main PB message - something that can be played with as you settle into the lifestyle.
    However, remember that fruit *is* seasonal and has a high sugar content, so consider taking it easy in that regard.

Hope that helps

suechef is offline Member
    I say do the best you can with what's available to you, otherwise you can drive yourself crazy.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If anything seasonal consumption of fruit is a good thing. That's what any paleolithic hunter-gatherer would have done.

Produce really really really really isn't your main health concern or your main nutritional weapon. It's not that important. Hell the only organic vegetable I buy is kale, the rest is conventional Canadian produce and I think it's just fine. Vegetation is way overrated and that money is better spent on grass-fed pastured animal flesh and egg, good fats and oils and smaller amounts of good seeds and nuts, and supplements if you should need them.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    This is the kind of thing that used to drive me nuts when I was a vegan, now I wouldn't worry about it much so long as you are getting enough meats, and fats. what Stabby said.

Getting lost in minutae can be some fun, but don't lose sight of the bigger picture of what you're trying to accomplish. For me cutting down the carbs trumps veggies right now.

Kram is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for clearing that up. It's good to know I can buy veg without worrying too much where it came from. I haven't actually cut back on fruit yet. I've succesfully stopped eating grains and any thing processed but I thought I'd take it in stages. I plan to start limiting my fruit next week to get below 100grams of carbs a day, so I'll see how that goes.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I buy frozen berries at Waitrose (I'm sure they available elsewhere) and they are delicious defrosted and served with extra thick double cream. You don't really need fruit in your diet, I consider it a treat.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    seasonal consumption yes - what was available at your latitude back then? shurely not bananas and such? up here in the north the paleolithic seasonally available fruit would have been scarce and probably way less sweet... more a treat than a staple.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/