Thread: Favorite Meals page

bdfink is offline Member

Favorite Meals

Shop Now
    I'm trying to get back into the habit of making big meals on Sundays that will last a few days during the week. Sundays are a good day to hit a morning workout, grocery store and spend a few hours preparing a big meal. It's a big time saver during the week and is potentially a money saver as well.

I'm pretty bored with my current recipes and I am looking for some ideas.

What are your favorite meals to make in bulk? Links to the recipes or a descriptive response to this thread would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by bdfink; 01-31-2013 at 11:12 AM.

drjoyous is online now Senior Member
    ok, i guess the best place to start would be with the MDA recipes...
    I just made the crispy carnitas a coupla days ago.... They perhaps were the single most perfect food EVAH!! They didn't last long...
    A nice bed of lettuce/spinach/napa cabbage shredded, carnitas piled high, diced tomatoes and onions, guacamole, some sour cream. It doesn't get better than this!
    oh, and primal moussaka (MDA) also a winner--

Pumpkin chili with chicken thighs is a personal favorite of mine. You can make a lot of it and have lunches/dinners for a week!

We also grill up some hamburgers and put them on top of a sweet potato hash -- again, making extra, it reheats well.

Spaghetti Squash and some sort of sauce (my fav. is an alfredo-ish one made with coconut milk) with chicken on top. Reheats well also.

Those are just a couple of my favorites!

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    For us, it's a large lump of roast meat (preferably on the bone) for Sunday lunch, with plenty of vegetables, then any leftover vegetables get turned into soup, and we have the leftover meat cold once, then either make a cottage pie (with cauli mash rather than potatoes), or a quick stew, or a curry or a stir-fry. I usually reckon to be able to eat from a roast until Thursday, then have bones for stock for the next week.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I get myself 2-3kg of meat (this week was pork on discount, so I got 2.5kg for just over 5.50!), roast it, cut it into 100g pieces, devour the fat and put the meat on a plate in the fridge.
    Then I'll just slice and boil some veg, throw an avocado on the side, fry up an egg, make a quick salad...etc. That keeps me happy for the week.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I like to make a bone stock starting a couple days before the weekend and then turn it into soup on Sunday using a roasted chicken and some veggies. I also make a couple pounds of meatballs (just throw together some meat, salt pepper cheese?) into the oven covered in pasta sauce. This gets me through a few days.
    Last edited by slowcooker; 02-01-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Pot Roast in a slow cooker (I usually load it on Monday mornings), Solyanka (cabbage, cleery, onions, tomatoes, fresh sausage braise/stew), Bortcsh (I have both recipes posted in a thread about Russian foods adaptations), dry-roasted chickens, and bolonaise style sauce/stew. I also often bake a whole salmon in parchment. Chili
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Stephanie is offline Member
    Monfongo con pollo is my all time favorite. Yum!

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I haven't done it in a while, but I like to make a big pot of chicken curry once in a while and it's good to go over some rice or veg (steamed spinach, especially!) all week long. I don't have a real recipe for it...chop up some onions and garlic, saute in fat of choice for a few minutes. Add cubed up chicken (I prefer dark meat), cook through. Stir some curry powder into either some broth or coconut milk (or both), then pour it over the chicken. You can toss in any other veggies you want - chopped peppers, celery, carrots...whatever's in the crisper. Play around with spices and seasonings, too...add some cumin, more garlic (never a bad thing), black pepper...it's pretty foolproof. Simmer it for a while until all the flavours are nice and friendly with each other, then dig in!

weisitke is offline Banned
    think so,throw an avocado on the side, fry up an egg, make a quick salad...etc. That keeps me happy for the week.thanks