Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't like eggs. page

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member

I don't like eggs.

Shop Now
    Title pretty much says it. If I fry an egg, it smells great but the eating it part is never going to reach completion.

I'd rather be punched in the head than eat a hard boiled one - even worse. Yolk especially.

Scrambled...haven't tried that in years.

I'm thinking in order to get that egg benefit in my diet, I might have to disguise it inside something else (custard with honey?).

In lieu of disguising egg (I suppose I could huck scrambled eggs in with my stir fry - eating a lot of that lately), what kind of foods "make up" for it?

Thanks,

M.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    liver.

You need your choline from somewhere and if you get rid of liver and eggs your likely to be deficient.

You can put raw egg yolks in a smoothie (heck can do that with raw liver too). My kids never notice.

I'm going to try liver, then. I remember as a kid -hating- it, but my mother was an awful cook, so that could be the problem.

If those two lacking in a diet -> choline deficiency, I'm certainly in it. I'm going to go look up what that does.

I'll also try the egg yolks smoothie thing, though I need to buy a blender (gave mine to my last roomate when I moved).

M.

saady is offline Junior Member
    Have you tried fresh eggs, ie from someone who keeps them locally? They don't have the eggy/sulfury taste if that is what is turning you off.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Here is a good article on the importance of choline for liver (and hence everything) health. If your eating a high fat diet or have much fructose at all then your need for choline may increase.

The Daily Lipid: Does Choline Deficiency Contribute to Fatty Liver in Humans

This is another article minus much of the scientific conjecture and more to the health point:

Why you should eat more (not less) cholesterol

I know there are people around here who keep eggs (I've of late begun looking more into local food producers - surprised there are so many!) - I'll have to give them a try. The S.O. likes eggs, so I'm sure she'd be behind that. How fresh is fresh?

Also, how well do eggs keep without refrigeration? I was very surprised when over at a friend's house and they had one of those large egg palates (like 36 eggs in a square, several stacked on each other) just sitting on the counter. Apparently, they've never in their lives kept them in the fridge.

M.

saady is offline Junior Member
    I think if eggs are not washed, they can be stored at room temperature for a longer time.
    Not to hijack the thread, let me create another one.

Back to the OP, how about egg protein powder?

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I'm going to try liver, then. I remember as a kid -hating- it, but my mother was an awful cook, so that could be the problem.

If those two lacking in a diet -> choline deficiency, I'm certainly in it. I'm going to go look up what that does.

I'll also try the egg yolks smoothie thing, though I need to buy a blender (gave mine to my last roomate when I moved).

M.
    Don't worry, eggs and liver are not the only sources of choline. Plenty of people don't eat eggs and liver and are not choline dificient.

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps try cooking ground turkey, bison or beef; add sliced veggies (mushrooms, peppers), olive oil and an egg in a skillet (or many in my case) and enjoy. I doubt with all those flavors you'd be able to distinguish the egg. Did I mention it is delicious?

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    How fresh is fresh?
    Where we are, there are plenty of farms within about a 30 mile radius: not exactly popping over to a farm next door, but we can find farmers' markets and other ways of buying direct. One farm delivers monthly to nearby pickup sites, so for much of the year that's our egg source, we buy a few dozen at a time. When we pick them up, the date they were packed is on the carton, usually a day or two before pickup. Compare that to supermarket eggs, where the lag from factory farm to purchase is weeks, if not months.

Qualitatively, pastured eggs are >>> supermarket eggs, and that includes the misleading labels "organic" and "free-range." By qualitatively, I mean both nutrient content and flavor. Supermarket eggs are sort of like watery snot balls with little pale yellow blops in the middle. Real farm eggs have firmer whites, deep yolks, and actually taste like eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast