Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: omega 6 and animal products page

A.M. Roots is offline Member

omega 6 and animal products

Shop Now
    So besides being as good as possible about buying quality, grass fed meats and animal products, I was curious what people thought about the fat and skins of animals: bacon, chicken, etc. I'm led to believe the fat is where the highest omega 6 content hangs out vs. the meat of the animal. Does anyone avoid chicken skin and cooking with animal fats other than butter? I'm in love with my soups and broths using both these things. Comprising diet of 70% fat it keeps the ratio's ideal, calories up and just feels and tastes so damn right! Any opinions, input, knowledge, or your personal kitchen habits would be apprecitated. Thanks.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I was under the impression as long as you buy grassfed meats and ate fish on a semi-regular basis (or supplemented with oil) your ratios should be fine, regardless of eating skins/bacon. Plus, they are delicious!!!

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Chicken fat has an unfavourable omega 6 : omega 3 ratio, it's very rich in omega 6 fatty acids. But I eat chicken skin, 'cause I like it. :P
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    I remember as a kid I always got scolded for eat the chicken skin. I always thought it was the most delicious part.

I know realize that even as a kid, deep down my inner grok was influencing me and I didn't even know it.

ehstrauss is offline Junior Member
    Stu, that's funny--my 6 year old knows what's up too--she eats the skin off her roast chicken first, looks at me and says, "got any more skin?" I usually end up peeling the skin off about a third of the chicken for her. She thinks her friends who will only eat boneless skinless breasts--"the blonde chicken"--as she calls it, are really missing out.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I think that the chicken omega ratio is worse than grassfed beef or lamb (or wild-caught ocean fish) because chickens, being birds, are set up to eat grain as well as bugs, scraps, etc. So it's more reasonable to feed them grain than feeding it to ruminant animals.

We obsess about omega 6 because the feedlot meat and vegetable oils are so full of it, but if we avoid mass-produced meat, then having some omega 6 is at least a little bit necessary, isn't it?

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I hate chicken skin, a lot. I have some chicken skin and chicken fat here from making a stock and I came on to see what to do with it, because I'm always hearing around these parts how good it is for you...

-写

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Im wondering what the ratio of 6:3 is for grass fed butter?
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Eating chicken skin's one of the "naughty" things you should be enjoying once you go primal! (After all, Grok surely ate animal skin.) All kidding aside, yes, chicken fat IS high on the omega-6s relative to the omega-3s, though not nearly as much as you might fear. So don't sweat it. Cut way back on the veg oils, limit nuts and seeds, eat some seafood, and if all else fails, take a supplement.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    If you're not eating processed foods, taking an omega 3 Supp. , and eating wild sources of fresh fish regularly, your ratios will be fine. Chicken skin and other natural animal foods are not the culprit. Its the heavy processing and unstable polyunsaturated oils (soy, canola, other commercial vegetable oils) involved in prepackaged food, and large amounts of processed carbohydrates that cause omega 6 ratios to become less than ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast