Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bloodwork back, total cholesterol is high, I am freaking out a little bit page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I am so confused by what you said....

So....your total cholesterol wrong is because your LDL was wrong, because your LDL was based off a calculation from total cholesterol? Circular thinking much?

I'm pretty sure total cholesterol was measured correctly, whereas LDL was just wrong due to the calculation error.
    It's not circular. What I'm saying is when trigs are low (<100), the Friedewald equation is usually off on calculating LDL by around 20%. I'm assuming if you're giving a direct LDL measurement, you'll be about 20% lower. I'm simply taking 80% of her LDL number and plugging it back into the equation. It's not perfect, but it's probably more accurate than what it is now.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Choco, as an afterthought:

Or are you saying that the methods for them to measure total cholesterol are wrong, so you are better off getting your LDL measured and calculating total cholesterol from that?
    Yes.

I'm saying get your LDL, HDL and trigs directly measured. Then, calculate your TC. Basing your LDL's and totals off a standard cholesterol test is kind of silly. IMO, it's only valid to see your HDL:trig ratio. In this case, it is EXCELLENT.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

14emom is offline Member
    This whole conversation is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to comment.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    No no no choco....

LDL is calculated.

TC, HDL and Trigs are measured.

Here ya go. Here is an article about this stuff:

Whole Health Source: When Friedewald Attacks

14emom is offline Member
    With that formula, my LDL level is 111. I guess that's better?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Why?

I believe lowest risk of all-cause mortality is a total cholesterol in the 200-240 range. Below 180 starts becoming a health risk.

Your total cholesterol number isn't correct, anyway. Your trigs are too low, so your LDL cholesterol isn't calculated correctly. It's not a direct LDL measurement, it's almost certainly an estimate based on the Friedewald formula for LDL calculation. As you can see, when trigs are low, the number is wildly inaccurate. This guy's calculation (posted above) was off by over 45 points!

In short, you do not know your total cholesterol. Your LDL is a calculation, likely off by about 20-30%, which will skew your totals horribly. It's all wrong.

Get a direct LDL measurement, an LDL particle test and a C-reactive protein test. Add this info to your HDL and trig numbers and you'll have a better feel for your health.
    What rubbish. The TC is a direct measurement. It is only the LDL that is calculated by an approximation. You really shouldn't display your ignorance so confidently
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    No no no choco....

LDL is calculated.

TC, HDL and Trigs are measured.
    I'm pretty sure you can get your LDL measured with the deeper bloodwork analysis.

I'm pretty sure you can get your LDL measured with the deeper bloodwork analysis.
    Of course you can....but then the formula would be HDL+LDL= TC. Pretty freaking easy then . In fact you don't even need that formula cause you always have the TC and HDL measured anyhow! Choco just made a mistake in the beginning of this whole thing starting with his first post. No big deal. But these are the facts.

Point is the LDL is usually calculated on standard cholesterol tests via the formulas we have been discussing. If you directly measure the LDL there is no reason to bother with such extrapolations right?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-31-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast