Thread: Standing workdesk questions page

Wafaa is offline Member

Standing workdesk questions

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I made a makeshift standing workdesk and I've been trying it out. My back certainly feels better, however, my lower legs and feet start getting numb after a while and my blood circulation down there starts feeling weird. I fidget and change the pressure on my legs but it doesn't really solve the problem. I'm a pretty active person, but this standing in one spot (in front of the screen) and not moving feels more tiring than actually walking.

I'm just wondering for any of you guys/girls who use standing workdesks, do you stand all day? Does this problem go away? I'm thinking maybe standing for 20-30min every hour or two of sitting sounds like a good idea.
    My art blog.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    2 suggestions.

1. get a little step stool or bucket or something. it helps to be able to put 1 leg up at a time for a while, bend the knee a bit, alternate as you see fit.

2. Yes, I sit for probably 15 minutes or so every couple hours. i got a really high saddle seat chair that I like. goes up to 36" IIRC. You can see it in the pic below. Just make sure to get the highest one you can, and verify it will be high enough before you purchase.

beachbound is offline Junior Member
    I made my makeshift standing desk using an IKEA table and tube legs (I can't remember their names), and bed risers from Walmart. At first, I put the risers under the desk legs, but recently, I brought home from Home Depot a type of cork or particle board that was precut, which fit perfectly on my desk (with the risers propping it up). The depth is a few inches shorter than the IKEA tabletop, but it's mostly for my 3 monitors (while still having plenty of space, and the height is fine for me).

The underside is used as storage for misc stuff.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    2 suggestions.

1. get a little step stool or bucket or something. it helps to be able to put 1 leg up at a time for a while, bend the knee a bit, alternate as you see fit.

2. Yes, I sit for probably 15 minutes or so every couple hours. i got a really high saddle seat chair that I like. goes up to 36" IIRC. You can see it in the pic below. Just make sure to get the highest one you can, and verify it will be high enough before you purchase.
    this is great advice.

i also move around a lot. i sit down a good chunk too, but usually away from my desk to do other work. standing may be better than sitting, but standing in one place isn't really natural. we're supposed to move around.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I stand about 7 hours out of a 9.5 hour day. I do get some tingling in my outer thighs but this may be related to some old knee problems since it feels the same as what I had back when my knee surgeries was done.

When I'm reading a document, I set for a while and I tend to get out and walk around more which helps the tingling. The step stool idea is a good one and I'll give that a try.

But overall I have much more energy during the day.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am standing all day, with breaks for meetings - that's normally <2 hours a day.
    I had tired legs when I was not moving, but then I did the following:
    -I removed the chair completely from my workstation that opened up a lot of floor space for me to take a short walk about (a few steps) whenever I feel heavy legs
    -I kicked off the shoes
    -I go for a longer walk (~ 2 min) about every hour (bathroom, refill my cup, water my flowers, do whatever)
    -Go for at least 30 min walk at lunch
    -Stretch, particularly hamstrings and quads and back in the early afternoon - we are lucky, we have a quiet room

Hope this helps
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Samphis is offline Member
    The absolute best thing is an anti-fatigue mat, like chefs use for all-day kitchen duty. My floor at work is hella painful, but having a foam mat to stand on makes it like walking on a firm pillow.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I too have a standing desk, made from those wire rack you can build (works pretty well). I use a 2' tall bar stool to sit or most of the time I just have one leg up. Makes for a nice stretch. I sometimes squat on the stool too.

Under my feet I have a rug with a rubber grippy pad thing.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samphis View Post
    The absolute best thing is an anti-fatigue mat, like chefs use for all-day kitchen duty. My floor at work is hella painful, but having a foam mat to stand on makes it like walking on a firm pillow.
    Great idea Samphis. I'm heading home to the USA next week and will bring one back with me. Thanks for the tip!
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Torc is offline Member
    I just set up my workstation using printer paper boxes and setting my monitor on my tower. Works out pretty good and is giving people who walk by reason to think. My back was hurting until I shed the shoes. Going to get a pair of skellitoes or simular shoes to wear.

My only issue is we go long periods between calls, so it's somewhat hard not to want to sit down and write or do something to pass the time.