Thread: Japanese Recipe: Herring eggs & Sperm sacs (YUM!) page

Betorq is offline Senior Member

Japanese Recipe: Herring eggs & Sperm sacs (YUM!)

Primal Fuel
    Japanify: His’n’Hers* (Herring Egg + Sperm Sacs) Umami Mart

"For those who are a little squeamish about eating sperm sacs, think of them as the male counterpart of eggs. And we have no problem with eggs right? They are all over our breakfasts and show up in most of our baked goods. Id say its sexism to deliciously indulge in eggs and completely ignore sperm. The Japanese have considered shirako (fish sperm sacs aka milt) to be a delicacy for ages and I understand why. Kayoko has described them to taste like oysters, others have talked about similarities to liver and butter."

HerringEggs+SpermSacs.jpg
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Here in the UK we have a long tradition of eating Soft Herring Roes aka Herring Milts - I.e. sperm sacks. I eat about 3 ounces two or three times a week, lightly fried in butter and with a squeeze of lemon, served with spinach and potato as a breakfast or lunch dish.

I haven't been ably to find any nutritional info but they are traditionally regarded as highly nutritious. I'm sure they must be high in O3's, zinc, and lots of other goodies!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Here in the UK we have a long tradition of eating Soft Herring Roes aka Herring Milts - I.e. sperm sacks. I eat about 3 ounces two or three times a week, lightly fried in butter and with a squeeze of lemon, served with spinach and potato as a breakfast or lunch dish.

I haven't been ably to find any nutritional info but they are traditionally regarded as highly nutritious. I'm sure they must be high in O3's, zinc, and lots of other goodies!
    Yes indeedy. O3s, zinc are abundant in these delicious treasures of the sea. And, thrice weekly, for breakfast even? Lucky you are for sure, and I erroneously thought the Brits suffered with their bland native historical cuisine. My bad. And respect given - for your milty weekly ways!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Yes indeedy. O3s, zinc are abundant in these delicious treasures of the sea. And, thrice weekly, for breakfast even? Lucky you are for sure, and I erroneously thought the Brits suffered with their bland native historical cuisine. My bad. And respect given - for your milty weekly ways!
    I never did understand why our traditional cuisine has been portrayed as bland / boring etc.!! Herring milts are just one of our culinary treasures! Sweetbreads with asparagus in cream sauce; casserole of hearts with beets in a homemade beef stock with onions, garlic and caraway; ham hocks cooked until falling apart and set in a mould with parsley, garlic and the jelied stock poured over to serve cold as a pate type thing; roast shoulder of mutton with garlic, rosemary and cider; mussels in an infinity of ways; chicken and leek pie (back on the menu now that I have found some gluten free / grain free pastry recipes!); poached whole salmon with cucumber and sour cream sauce; calves liver fried in butter with sage and served with creamed spinach - I could go on for PAGES!!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 02-06-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    My girlfriend loves my sperm sack. Very nutritious for her.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Who'd a thunk I'd see "Sperm sacs" in the recipe forum?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

lougskypes is offline Junior Member
    me too,never did understand why our traditional cuisine has been portrayed as bland / boring etc.thank you