Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Walmart bacon vs Super overpriced designer bacon page 4

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For now I buy Hormel Naturals or Oscar Mayer Selects bacon because they are uncured. I can get bacon from my local Amish farm (which is where I get raw milk) but it's $8 a pound and there are six of us to feed and we all love bacon.
    ~Sandy

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Am I right to think that the regular bacon is to be avoided mostly because it's cafo meat, rather than the reason it's cured with nitrates/nitrites? Being so fatty and all.

So after reading this thread, i came upon some applegate farms bacon at the wholesale club i shop and i bought one of those dual packs.

I haven't tried it yet. Would anyone who has care to give me some feedback?

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Applegate Farms is pretty yummy, but I like my bacon cut a little thicker than they cut it. Their slices are razor-thin. But the flavor is great.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    OP, you are just used to nasty flavored meat. We find CAFO bacon to have a really weird flavor and love our Applegate. It is expensive but it is supposed to be expensive. The belly of the pig is rather limited.

If you don't care about animal welfare, look at it from the O-6/3 ratio. CAFO pork is very high in O-6.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Kestrel, thanks for that tip on 4505. The pics look very cool. I will check it out. I was happy to see that they are also at the Ferry Building.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahelyse View Post
    I plan my (stupidly small) budget around buying bacon from the Earth Fare down the street from me. Its only slightly more expensive than the stuff at Kroger, but it tastes soooo much better to me! Maybe its how they cure it, but Earth Fare bacon is really high on my priority list!
    Oh man, I love their bacon too! The big packs are a pretty good price, but sliced so thick that we go through it way too fast.

There is a small farm near us that raises pastured (well, forested really) pigs, and their bacon is AMAZING. He sends it to Link Forty One - Artisan & Cured Meats - Chattanooga, TN for smoking/curing, which makes the resulting product amazing but also $10/lb. I buy it about once a month, and every single drop of the fat is saved. The rest of the time we eat the regular breakfast sausage (not sent to Link 41, so much more affordable) or bacon from Earth Fare. I do occasionally get Applegate if I have a coupon (psst. they have $1/off on their website now) but I find it still has the odd slimy mouthfeel that CAFO bacon has, so I don't save the grease from it or any generic bacon, only pastured.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I'm seeing a lot of talk about Applegate farms, but do they have a better nutrition profile in terms of the fats? Specifically I'm concerned about what the pigs are eating.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Let's look at the facts. Chris Kresser does a bangup job dispelling the nitrate/nitrite myth.

It may surprise you to learn that the vast majority of nitrate/nitrite exposure comes not from food, but from endogenous sources within the body. (1) In fact, nitrites are produced by your own body in greater amounts than can be obtained from food, and salivary nitrite accounts for 70-90% of our total nitrite exposure. In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat.

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently.

The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon
    The nitrate/nitrite content of bacon is very low. You're ingesting more simply eating green vegetables. With the amount of bacon you ingest, it makes next to no difference with the huge content produced inside your body. In short: who cares?

The real issue with bacon is the fat content. Bacon is a huge, huge, HUGE source of arachidonic acid, which is extremely inflammatory. The paleo/primal daily staple of bacon can be a real issue, but it's not because of the nitrates/nitrites everyone seems to fear around here. It's the fat - which is usually embraced - because it's a bad kind of fat.

I think the only pork humans should eat is cured pork, anyway. I'd say based on this study, pass the ham and bacon and throw away the pork chops.

How Does Pork Prepared in Various Ways Affect the Blood? - Weston A Price Foundation

It seems as though pork has a nasty habit of coagulating the blood. Lots of diseases inherent to pigs are transferable to humans, so that can be an issue. I also wonder about the true reason why uncured pork seems to coagulate the blood while other meats do not. Pig tissue is extremely similar to human tissue - watch an episode of Myth Busters. Every time they want to emulate human skin, they seem to use pig skin. What's more, people have had organs transplanted from pigs into their bodies as a life-saving medical procedure. It makes me wonder if the human body confuses eating uncured, untreated, fresh pork with cannibalism and therefore rejects the meat. The curing process clearly alters the tissue and breaks it down, so it may eliminate the body's association with consuming human flesh? I'm very wary of uncured/untreated pork.

In short, I'd rather eat conventionally cured bacon than fresh, uncured pork for health reasons. But I'd say the healthiest level of pork consumption is zero pork consumption, and we'd be better off eating ruminants, fish and poultry (in that order).
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-03-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I've had to make peace with my bacon consumption. It's either high-falootin' gold-plated bacon from WF, or CAFO everywhere else. Even the butcher shop. The butcher's bacon may be worse, as it has propylene glycol for some reason. I can get pastured bacon May-Oct at the farmers' market, if I'm out there at 6am with half my retirement account to buy it before it's sold out, and it still has PG.

I'm just learning to go without. Maybe two packages of whatever I please every month.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Great Grandma and Grandma put beef and pork in all their tomato sauces and both lived to be in their mid 80s. And those sauces (especially GG's) took days to make and the pork fat was rendering into the sauce (a lot of it was skimmed, but not all). I'm not throwing out any pork chops any time soon.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234