Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast milk supply vs demand, formula, solid food---for 6-month old baby page 3

Zach is offline Banned
    While i think trying to get as much nutrition from breast milk as possible is a great idea and also to try breast feeding again. I dont think its the end of the world if your baby eats a bit of foods as well. There is no harm in giving him a bit of dairy and see how he responds. Along with other safe foods. Im not sure about coconut milk, it might have an allergy potential and is nothing like breast milk besides the fatty acid content but if it proves safe then there is no harm in a bit of that as well. Make sure to get it without and additives or gums.

No matter what happens, always breast feed as long as possible but t sounds like you already know that.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

oopps the second one is not out yet, but might be a helpful addition to your library. The first one has the formula recipes in it.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

Breastmilk is designed to be the sole food of human infants for up to 8 years.
    Sorry Zoes, but I have found this in the article
    "The minimum predicted age for a natural age of weaning in humans is 2.5 years, with a maximum of 7.0 years."

I can't find where it states that breastmilk is designed to be the sole food for up to eight years.
    I personnally think that breast is best for babies, however as a sole food until the age of 8 ????? Not so sure about that one - so that is what I will beg to differ on.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Zach is offline Banned
    There is no way a child would willingly drink only breast milk until 3-4, let alone 8. My son got bored of the boob around 16 months and wanted our foods. He stopped deinking it entirely on his own at 18 months. Kids strong, lean, smart and hasnt been sick once this winter "knocks on wood".

Im not saying it would be bad to drink breast milk that late in life but i really think you should follow the childs lead.

No way willing???
    Zach, you cannot make a child breastfeed.
    My eldest willingly breastfed until 3 years 3 months. Weaning was easy, we talked about it, and told him we would stop now, he was ok with that.

Zach what makes you think that anyone long term breastfeeding makes a child do it? We DO follow their lead its why we let them stop when they are OK with it.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Make sure wife is eating enough, and try pumping for longer periods more frequently. She could also try some lactation supplements like fennel essential oils, fenugreek, more milk plus, and mother's milk tea. Just tossing some ideas out there. Worse comes to worst, you can look up to see if there is a local chapter of eats on feets.
    Yes, this! These supplements work really well. I used more milk plus and mother's milk tea during periods I worried about my supply. but really the human body is amazing and her supply will increase with demand. So she may need to pump more frequently or if she can use what is called a supplemental nursing system the baby can "nurse" from her to stimulate milk production while getting the milk from the sns. Like this. Supplemental Nursing System

askdrsears.com should have a couple of article about using one. I know he talked about it in The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.

On the extended nursing thing. I read somewhere a few years ago that most mammals wean at 5 times birth weight. We practiced child led weaning until the point where I really thought she needed to be done because of her age. She was just shy of 5 times birth weight. I believe she would have made it to 5x's had I let her continue. She will also tell you she should have been allowed to nurse longer that she was not ready to stop.

I don't think I would offer cow or coconut milk at this age but perhaps some goat or sheep's milk might be okay if needed and there is no donor milk available in your area.
    Last edited by Primal123; 01-31-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Just as a comparison, I tried to wean my second son at 18 months, before he was able to understand and talk through it with him, it was a night mare and stressful for us both, and I ended up with mastitis. That was not fair on him at all. I really regret weaning him now. I tried to offer it to him many times after that, but he was not interested, so I really ruined that part of our relationship.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Ayla did you feed your son anything other than breast milk ????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not until after 1 no. But he still fed many times a day.
    I am thinking Zoe means sole, as in no formula or other milks. I am certain she wouldn't mean no food up until 8.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast