Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 month since going Primal and.... page 2

buddylee13 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    and the funny thing is , is that I have been averaging almost 4 hours a week of walking plus doing push-ups and pull-ups and other bodyweight exercises but as some of you have said a month is not that long

rayross is offline Junior Member
    I was on the regimen for 6-7 months before I got weighed, and was disappointed that I had not lost an ounce. Then in the next couple of months, I started to see that I had less fat on me, and sure enough, I had dropped 10 pounds. The body doesn't always provide instant gratification.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Going against the grain here but the way I see it, if your goal is fat loss then why add more fat to your diet, work on burning off your stored body fat instead. More veggies. More weightbearing exercise. Lots of slow movement. Four hours in a week isn't really much, do you sit at a desk the rest of the day. Ditch the muffin. Go easy on the added coconut oil, time enough later to increase fats when you really begin to feel hunger again.

I eat about 50-60% of calories from fat a day and never hungry. So I'll just have to experiment and see how much and what percentage of fat I need. still my calories are under 2000

I think it depends on the person. I was on a low fat diet for 2 years went from 225 to 191 but i got stuck, so I decided to give primal a try. I have found the more fat I add the faster the weight comes off. I am down to 176 now. I have also read posts where vegetarians or vegans have done very well with higher levels of protein. I think you should experiment and find what works for you.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Hi Buddylee,

I think they already answered, but if it helps, I will say it again: add more fat If you don't throw in some extra fats to your diet you'll never train your metabolism to burn them, instead it will burn proteins to make up for the missing sugars.

I am 5'10", 61.7Kg, 10.3% fat, and I eat 140 grams of fat per day, 120g of proteins and 40-50g of carbs (sugars and starches) evenly distributed during the day so to avoid insulin spikes. I keep on a 2000Kcals diet, every day (no matter if I workout or not). I also am a decent cook, so I vary alot from day to day, I can go two months without eating the same recipe twice and I think this is the best part of being primal: enjoy life in all its aspects.

I would also suggest you to skip breakfast. Not so much the snack, that's fine, but the breakfast is usually not important, contrary to what we have been taught. I believe, and there are many here, that breakfast is the least important meal of the day, you actually could make it to noon without eating, and thrown in a 45 minutes intense workout before lunch without feeling it. The reason behind it is that during the night you burn fats, mostly. Chances are you are burning YOUR own fats because you already used all those you ate at dinner. Also, you are recovering from the previous day and getting ready for the one to come, so your muscles and your liver are being refilled with glycogen. In my opinion, the worst thing you could do at breakfast is eating sugars (for example... grapefruit?). Have a green tea instead, or a coffee: it is just a phycological need you have.

Speaking about ways to add fat, pay attention not to add bad ones, check the post about the Omega3:Omega6 ratio, the difference between saturated, mono/polyunsaturated and what they mean for your health, etc.
    Ideally, you could eat fattier meat (I am an offal lover), fat fish (salmon, eel), add olive or flax oil onto your broccolis, and of course my favorite: eat macadamias for your snack (I forgot the taste of bread, macadamias make for a great phycological replacement to bread): I do my calculations based on the recipes I am going to eat during the day: the fats I miss are covered by fatty nuts. Back to fattier meat... just to be sure I am not misunderstood, I mean real meat. Not sausages, salami, etc. In short, don't go for the chicken breast, go for the legs (moreover, they are cheaper).
    You mention butter. I love butter and definitely fry my eggs with it, but I don't forget it's very inflammatory. I recommend alternating butter and ghee. Check the coconut milk, for making curries.

Cheers!
    Primal Alex

thanks Alex. interesting points

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say cut the muffin (even if it's paleo, it's a lot of nuts, that), increase calories to 1800-2000.

And from there: are you getting enough movement and lifting heavy things? are you getting enough sleep?

Those have a major impact on weight loss/gain.

hopefully I should start to see results in the next couple weeks. thanks for the responses

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks Alex , I have upped my cal to 2000 a day and have added more coconut oil and fattier meats. I definatly do not need a snack at all. I feel great so we will see how it goes. I may try and skip breakfast but then I would really have a hard time making 1600 cal a day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast