Thread: Sardines in Sunflower Oil. page

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member

Sardines in Sunflower Oil.

Shop Now
    Right, here goes. FIrst of all I know that sunflower oil is a big no-no, but I was wondering if it's not so bad if you eat tinned sardines in SunOil assuming one drains the can of all oil?

It's really frustrating sometimes living in Germany, a country more or less coast-less, where we seldom have much fish choice - or at least it's so bloomin' expensive. I love sardines and the only ones I have seen that are brined cost about 3 euros (approx 4$) whereas the ones in SunOil cost less than an euro. I am originally from the UK and find this all very annoying.

Your thoughts?

rayross is offline Junior Member

Smile Dead Fish

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Right, here goes. FIrst of all I know that sunflower oil is a big no-no, but I was wondering if it's not so bad if you eat tinned sardines in SunOil assuming one drains the can of all oil?

It's really frustrating sometimes living in Germany, a country more or less coast-less, where we seldom have much fish choice - or at least it's so bloomin' expensive. I love sardines and the only ones I have seen that are brined cost about 3 euros (approx 4$) whereas the ones in SunOil cost less than an euro. I am originally from the UK and find this all very annoying.

Your thoughts?
    I get sardines packed in water. I think that's the safest, although sardines in tomato sause or mustard are considered alright. The problem with any oil is that it oxidizes if exposed to air, and this causes free radicals. (This does not apply to oil supplements sealed in capsules.)

Of course, anti-oxidants neutralize free radicals, but why add to the burden when sardines (salmon, tuna) are available in water? As for draining the oil, I would think that the fish would be saturated with oil. Soaking in water would remove more of the remaining oil, but I wouldn't buy it in the first place.