Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Becoming "fat adapted". page 5

DigiSurg is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    EMF 4 is going to hit this topic squarely between the eyes.........time to show you the biochemical pathway paleo forgets.....

Crofter is offline Member
    Zach, you are now the expert it seems! So now we all get to question your logic and wisdom.

If you put your head above the parapet you get shot at!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Over the last two months I transitioned back to moderate / high carb, and guess what? No hypoglycemia, and I can fast! What gives?

The elimination of gluten is the only constant in my case, so I'm going to blame everything on that
    I've never been LC by primal standards and over time, fasting has gotten easier and easier. I have no idea why.

Gluten seems like a great scapegoat! But I still have something with gluten a couple times a month, so maybe I'll have to look further.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I actually have been avoiding the carb wars and other such nonsense on purpose, but I'll post a quicky here.

Of course there is a degree of marketing involved. The message needs to be "simple enough for a fifth grader" is a common statement in marketing. So inherent to that is some oversimplification of the processes involved. No big deal really. The simplification is not incorrect...it's just subject to people such as yourself and those of this board pointing out the glaringly obvious fact that "its not that simple".

I think OP already knows the other answers. Its common knowledge and not really even contested that if you eat more of one macro to the exclusion of another then metabolic pathways shift to utilizing that macro to meet proportionately larger amounts of your energy demands. So the short answer is yes eating more fat and less carbs upregulates fat burning metabolism. That really isn't the debatable portion...the part that OP and any other person eating higher carb might wish to debate is if and how this shift may improve ones health. But, that wasn't the OP's question so.....
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-01-2013 at 07:30 AM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I actually have been avoiding the carb wars and other such nonsense on purpose, but I'll post a quicky here.

Of course there is a degree of marketing involved. The message needs to be "simple enough for a fifth grader" is a common statement in marketing. So inherent to that is some oversimplification of the processes involved. No big deal really. The simplification is not incorrect...it's just subject to people such as yourself and those of this board pointing out the glaringly obvious fact that "its not that simple".

I think OP already knows the other answers. Its common knowledge and not really even contested that if you eat more of one macro to the exclusion of another then metabolic pathways shift to utilizing that macro to meet proportionately larger amounts of your energy demands. So the short answer is yes eating more fat and less carbs upregulates fat burning metabolism. That really isn't the debatable portion...the part that OP and any other person eating higher carb might wish to debate is if and how this shift may improve ones health. But, that wasn't the OP's question so.....
    Well said

What do you think about the fasting thing NH?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Well said

What do you think about the fasting thing NH?
    I think its an indication of a healthy and flexible metabolism. It can be one of your self tests. May very well be that certain intolerance or food allergies hold you back from optimally expressing that, such as your conclusions that it may be the gluten for you. Lots of room for individual interpretation of what "fixes" your current metabolic dysfunctions.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    The "fat burning beast" schtick is just marketing gimmicks. When people hear that you'll be "fat burning", it makes it sound like you're burning through the fat from your hips, thighs and ass.
    If you eat more fat, I guess you'll be a "fat burning beast" (unless you overeat, then you'll be a fat storing beast).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345