Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning to eat dessert, would like some advice on damage control page

Planning to eat dessert, would like some advice on damage control

Primal Fuel
    First, please no snarky replies, (you there - just read and move on if you don't mind...)
    A brief foreward: I started cutting back on sweets (with help from hypnosis) about a week before starting Weight Watchers on 11/28. When I had a meltdown on New Year's Eve over some very good chocolate (a taste led to a binge) I declared sugar was evil. Shortly after this I heard an interview with Robert Lustig, went on to read every page of DietDoctor.com (Low Carb, High Fat) and ultimately ended up here about a week ago. I've been totally sugar and starch free for almost 2 weeks, and am VERY HAPPY! Oh, and I've lost about 8 lbs. (I have a lot more to go)
    In 11 days I am planning to have a dessert with dinner each night for 7 nights. It will be sweet but not overtly so. My question to the forum is this: What should I do during the day, during the meal or after the meal to keep the carbs from inflating my fat cells back to their original condition (as they are wont to do)?
    I will be going on a cruise starting Feb 10th. I'll be scuba diving in every port. I plan to use the stairs for exercise and to use the walking/jogging track as much as possible. But I've cruised before, and I know these menus. I have no intention of having any bread, starchy veg. or breakfast Danishes. I DO want to have a nightly dessert, and I want to enjoy it without it kicking my ass the next day! My sweet choices range from ice cream (sugarfree is available) to pannacotta to creme brule. I can also have a fruit and cheese plate, if I don't like the sweet options that night. I'm not interested in starchy sweets like cheesecake or apple pie.
    Here at home I seldom drink alcohol, but as my group is having nightly cocktail parties, I am planning on alternating between a glass of Chianti and a jigger of Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey (need to be rested and alert on my diving days).
    I'm open to all suggestions except for "don't eat dessert". It's going to happen. It will only be that week, then it's back to my usual routine, which I find very satisfying sans sugar. I just want to minimize the damage. Thank you!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    If you really must have dessert, why wouldn't you just make it a decent one?

Are you not worried about ending up bingeing again after having the sugar, since that was your problem to begin with?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You could IF to limit damage. Save all of your calories for dinner and then burn through them the next day as you fast. Hopefully this will keep you in the "fat adapted" state so that you can continue to burn fat as your primary fuel.

Another thing you could try is fasting for a day or two beforehand and then again afterwards. It will be harder after the week because you may have broken your fat adaptation due to having so many sweet desserts, but will help you quickly retransition into the fat burning mode.

But take these strategies with a grain of salt. They are hacks which may or may not be something you want to try. The most important thing here is to eat as cleanly as possible up until the day you start the "daily dessert" thing, and then afterwards, returning to your primal eating habits ASAP (unless fasting).

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    If you really must have dessert, why wouldn't you just make it a decent one?

Are you not worried about ending up bingeing again after having the sugar, since that was your problem to begin with?
    True this! I may eat dessert for a night or two, but I think seven days in a row would be a bit much and likely cause me to cascade backwards at that level.

Still, if you insist on doing it, then there are some good techniques to limit the damage.

Timthetaco Guest
    Are you absolutely sure you don't want any snarky replies?

Typically creme brule at least tends to be glutten free, so that is always an option. Ice cream wouldnt be horrible, but it depends on the ingredients used. A cheese and fruit plate might be a bit boring. I would say allow yourself to endulge, but don't go overboard. A cruise is a special occassion, so I say enjoy yourself and when you come back you can jump right back into your normal eating. Also if you are making good choices through out the cruise the rest of the time a dessert a night shouldnt hurt you too badly. Just pay attention to your body and what it is telling you.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    After seeing you post about your history with sugar, I am just not sure why you want to have dessert every night to be honest

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I would alternate between the fruit/cheese plate and the creme brulee, and maybe reward yourself one day with the ice cream. Don't get the sugar free stuff. If you're going to indulge, do it right. :-) If you want to limit the amount that you eat, load up on real fat, like butter, during the meal. The Weight Watchers meme of "drinking water and eating salad" to fill you up is hogwash. Fill up on a tablespoon of butter.

Since you're only a few weeks into low-carb/primal, the sugar will probably ruin/delay your metabolic healing process. But hey, it's a cruise. Live it up, and get back to better eating later.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Okay - I don't have to have a sweet dessert EVERY night. I can mix it up with a cheese & fruit plate. Besides, I will have gone without grapes, citrus, mango etc. for a while, so they can be my "sweet" treat. (As far as being boring, the cheese they serve is usually the good stuff I seldom get for myself, so I will enjoy. Mmmm, gorganzola...)
    I appreciate the idea of a fast. I can certainly go without food 24 hours before my cruise. Also, I noticed I've been spacing my meals further apart because the fat in my meals is more satisfying and sustains me longer. I'm just not as hungry as often, as I'm sure you've all experienced. I could have a good "Primal" breakfast, then nothing till dinner.
    I agree with you oxide, that if I'm going to indulge, I will "do it right". This is REAL food they're cooking on board, and they do it very well. I'm having a 5 ounce filet mignon with bernaise sauce and asparagus one night. The other 51 weeks a year I have to make my meals myself, and when I cook steak, it's just not the same...
    Ayla: I am actually less concerned about binging than I was before I started this lifestyle. While I was still on the WW plan ("everything in moderation"), all I could think about was how was I going to survive this cruise without eating everything at every meal? Now I am more confident than ever that I won't do that. This lifestyle (real food, meat and fat) is just too satisfying. Also, I am not sure what you mean by "why wouldn't you just make it a decent one?"
    I'm not planning on mainlining sucrose every night. I mostly wondered if there were a certain protein/fat ratio that I should abide by in a meal that will contain some sugar, or if I should do some physical thing, like sprints an hour before dinner or something.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heh, eating breakfast and then going until dinner isn't bad at all. However, I'm talking about not eating ANYTHING all day (including breakfast) and saving it all for dinner. This may not be optimal for you and I can respect that, but that's what I really meant. And believe me when I say it's damned effective for limiting (but not eliminating) the "damage" you might do to yourself.

Besides, if you wait until dinner, you'll REALLY get to enjoy it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast