Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning to eat dessert, would like some advice on damage control page 2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sorry you said you wanted to minimise the damage, but I was thinking if you really wanted to have dessert to have a good one that you will really enjoy.
    I agree with the fasting ideas though too if you are able

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    What about stopping eating the desserts after two or three bites that you truly savour? It's been said that the most satisfaction comes from the first few bites anyway, and the rest of it is just autopilot...
    I know my mister wouldn't mind if I passed what's left of my dessert off to him

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Try to focus your mind more on the fun activities and less on the food. Exercising ahead of time can empty your glycogen stores so they can take in the sugar, reducing the amount your body has to store as fat to get it out of your blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Heh, eating breakfast and then going until dinner isn't bad at all. However, I'm talking about not eating ANYTHING all day (including breakfast) and saving it all for dinner. This may not be optimal for you and I can respect that, but that's what I really meant. And believe me when I say it's damned effective for limiting (but not eliminating) the "damage" you might do to yourself.
    Besides, if you wait until dinner, you'll REALLY get to enjoy it.
    I think to fast on days I dive might not be a good idea since I'm not sure how my body would behave (however 3 of the 4 dive trips are in the morning, so I'll play it by ear). And to totally skip breakfast on our "at sea" days might possibly make me stir crazy. But I'm going to keep your suggestion in mind for the duration of the cruise, especially if I feel lethargic in the morning after that creme brule. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    What about stopping eating the desserts after two or three bites that you truly savour? It's been said that the most satisfaction comes from the first few bites anyway, and the rest of it is just autopilot...
    I know my mister wouldn't mind if I passed what's left of my dessert off to him
    I can't believe I haven't thought of this. Not once did I think I could just order something and just eat part of it. Cleaning my plate is so ingrained...
    Okay, fast ahead of time, focus on the fun, get the best tasting sweet every other night, eat just a portion, enjoy it and don't obsess about it, and fast when I get home.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    I think to fast on days I dive might not be a good idea since I'm not sure how my body would behave (however 3 of the 4 dive trips are in the morning, so I'll play it by ear). And to totally skip breakfast on our "at sea" days might possibly make me stir crazy. But I'm going to keep your suggestion in mind for the duration of the cruise, especially if I feel lethargic in the morning after that creme brule. Thanks everyone!
    Personally, and this is totally just MY experience, not intended as advice or instructions, just as a statement of my personal n=1, I hate doing intense physical activity with food inside of me. It makes me feel sluggish and having it moving around in there while I'm exerting intense effort often makes me feel sick or at least uncomfortable. I regularly work out, hike, jog, ect. in a fasted state and feel great doing it!

And if you save all of your calories until your evening meal, you can eat EVERYTHING on your plate, get that salad, soup, and/or appetizer and not worry about going over your caloric allotment.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    One of the cruise lines is known for their flourless chocolate cake (I think it's Carnival, though I think Royal Caribbean has a similar dish), that would definitely be on my list. I wasn't primal on our last cruise, but have been eating low carb/sugar for a number of years out of necessity to control my blood sugar, and I was able to enjoy myself without excessive worry. If I've eaten a good dinner (meat and veg, limited or no starch) I can usually handle part of a dessert without riding the blood sugar rollercoaster. I usually opted to share with my husband, who doesn't have a huge sweet tooth, so it worked out for both of us. I never had trouble finding a dinner choice that didn't involve pasta or excessive carbs, and I was surprised to see naturally gluten free desserts on the menu regularly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    One of the cruise lines is known for their flourless chocolate cake (I think it's Carnival, though I think Royal Caribbean has a similar dish), that would definitely be on my list.
    I was reviewing menus online earlier today (I'm sailing on Norwegian) and I did see a "Chocolate Napoleon" served in Le Bistro, one of their restaurants with a cover charge. It is a flourless cake with a hazelnut crunch and chocolate hazelnut cream. I have already planned to eat there one night because their entrees includes both bouillabaisse and duck, and their dessert cheese plate looks very nice. I should probably fast that particular day...

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    If you really want to get your money's worth on the cruise, why waste it on cheap desserts? Eat more steak or have cheese...

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I hear you, but just be prepared to go thru sugar detox again when you get home. Also, be prepared for the sweets to not be as awesome as you remember them.

And please, just EAT your meals. Eat as clean as possible. Don't starve yourself in anticipation of sweets. If you are a sugar addict, going to bet you have experience with that cycle. Eat your clean primal meals, maybe cut back on fruit, carbs and then enjoy the dessert that you want. If it isn't good, don't eat it.

Be prepared to bloat, and be cranky.

But I understand wanting to indulge on a vacation. Just be prepared to pay the price.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast