Thread: Jeff's Primal Journal page

JWK47 is offline Junior Member

Jeff's Primal Journal

Intro

My name's Jeff and I'm 25 years old living in New Zealand. I'm already a pretty fit guy as I've spent most of my adult life in the army. As a small guy (5'6" 65.3 kg) though it's been tough but I've managed to keep up a pretty high level of cardio fitness and endurance. What I've never really been able to do though is build up too much in the way of strength as I've never been able to make it over the 70kg mark. I think this has been largely due to diet, a very disrupted lifestyle and an aversion to getting in the gym and sticking with it.

I've recently decided to leave the Army and one of my main concerns is I'll waste away to my pre-army size or turn to fat without the constant physical activity and demands. As such I've taken up cross-fit (which is already incredibly popular with military folks) and decided to go Primal to ensure I stay fit and healthy as a civilian and achieve some of the strength goals I haven't been able to these last few years. I've also had a lot of sleep problems the last few years as well as difficulty with dairy.

So far I've been doing primal for about 3 weeks and am enjoying it, I've lost a few kgs but that was mostly fat. I'm doing the 85/15 split so I have 3 cheat meals a week (nothing more than having a few tortillas or something though). It hasn't been too tough so far though last week I experienced a huge drop in energy that left me more tired and feeling less fit than I have in years. The energy though seems to be back this week and I'm hoping that was me getting over the hump. My sleep has improved and the absence of dairy is making my stomach happy.

Stats

Height: 5'6" (168 cm)
    Weight: 144 lb (65.3 kg)
    Body Fat %: 15.3

Goals

1. Stay on the Primal Diet until the end of the year.

2. 12% body fat by the end of the year.

3. Be able to complete Crossfit Work-outs at the prescribed weight level by the end of the year.

Starting Picture

primal photo.jpg

Updates

I intend to update this journal everyday as a means of keeping me on track and motivated. First update will be tonight after I've had dinner. Thanks a lot for reading and any input or advice is very welcome.

Cheers. Jeff
    Last edited by JWK47; 01-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and Hi from a fellow Kiwi (living in Aus sadly though).
    CrossFit is awesome
    Good luck with it all.

Update 1

Meals:

Breakfast: Smoked Salmon with grilled mushrooms, a carrot and a handful of almonds

Lunch: Mexican Shredded beef salad with avacado and tomato

Snack: Apple

Dinner: I used a cheat meal and had a Bacon Backfire chicken burger from Burger Fuel. I ended up not eating the bun as it just wasn't doing anything for me. Not a very satisfying dinner to be honest.

Exercise

Crossfit: Strength focussing on push presses and pull-ups.

Update 2

Meals

Breakfast: Smoked Salmon with grilled mushrooms, avacado and 2 eggs

Lunch: Spinach, Egg and Bacon served on top of a grilled portobello mushroom

Dinner: Seafood soup with Tomato and Stock broth from the Quick and Easy Primal cookbook

Exercise:

Crossfit: Strength focussing on back squats with 15 minutes of HIIT after

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    i love crossfit. good luck to you. /lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Update 3

Meals:

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with lean Bacon, Apple + Carrot

Lunch: Mexican Shredded Beef with lettuce, avacado and tomato

Dinner: Cheat meal of Lamb Vindaloo on Rice (My third cheat meal of the week).

Exercise

None today as feeling pretty sore from a hard week of crossfit. I felt Grok would rest and so should I.

Update 4

Meals:

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Brown Mushrooms

Lunch: Tuna, Avacado, Apple, Carrot and a few Almonds

Dinner: Primal Basil Pesto Crusted Chicken Breast with Kumara, Pumpkin, Peas, Brocolli and a few slices of Pineapple for Dessert

Exercise:

Went for a 2 hour bush walk with my girlfriend. It was good to move the muscles and I'm not feeling sore at all anymore.

Update 5

Meals:

Breakfast: 2 Eggs with Mushrooms, Avacado and Salmon

Lunch: Primal Basil Pesto Crusted Chicken Breast, with Kumara, Pumpkin, Peas and Brocolli (Yay! Leftovers)

Dinner: Primal Chicken Tikka Masala on Cauliflower Rice

Exercise:

Crossfit: Strength focussing on the Jerk and conditioning working on Pull-ups, Press-ups and Abs

On another note I have now been Primal for 4 weeks!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Update 6

Meals

Breakfast: Carrot, Banana, Almonds+Cashews

Lunch: Leftover Primal Chicken Tikka Masala on Cauliflower Rice

Dinner: Grilled Steak and Scallops with Peas

Exercise:

Crossfit: Strength focussing on Squat snatches, shoulders started to hurt though so only did half the session.