Thread: Best Cut of Meat for Roast Beef page

diene is offline Senior Member

Best Cut of Meat for Roast Beef

Primal Fuel
    So I just joined a buying club and am super excited about making a nice hunk of roast beef, but I'm confused by all the different cuts that are available.

Here are the choices (they're all the same price):

boneless chuck roast
    mock tender (chuck eye) roast
    bottom round roast
    eye of round roast
    sirloin tip roast
    brisket
    london broil
    top round roast

I'm thinking the boneless chuck roast (because the description says it's fatty) or the sirloin tip roast (because the description says it's tender enought to be oven-roasted).

Any suggestions?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the UK so we have different terms for joints of beef. But in my book, THE joint for roasting is a bone in rib - about 3 ribs or more. Topside is also good if cooked rare. (It can become tougher if well cooked).

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes, a good 3 - 4 rib roast of beef is excellent, and there's wonderful stock to be had afterwards!

I'd always recommend getting a bone-in roasting joint where possible, as it cooks much better and really enhances the flavour. But, if I can't get a rib roast, then like breadsauce I'd go for topside and cook it very rare.

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    like breadsauce said , the terms for cuts of meat vary depending on your location , but here in Aussie chuck is the end of the Scotch Fillet , which is a Rib Eye Roast if its left on the bone .. according to my mate the butcher

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    boneless chuck roast
    mock tender (chuck eye) roast
    bottom round roast
    eye of round roast
    sirloin tip roast
    brisket
    london broil
    top round roast
    Of the ones you listed I have found the sirloin tip to be the best and most tender. Top round is probably second. Chuck eye is great as a steak (very rib eye like) so should make a great roast as well (assuming it is a proper chuck eye and not just round with the name added). London broil I tend to sear in a pan then broil. I have never tried roasting it. It works well like a steak if you marinade it to tenderize it a bit. Bottom round and chuck in my opinion work better as pot roast not oven roasts. Brisket I rarely cook so can't help you.

so long story short (in preference order):

oven roast - chuck eye (if good), sirloin tip, eye of round/top round
    pot roast - chuck, bottom round (though really I find this a blah piece of meat.)
    Steak like - london broil or chuck eye cut into steaks (if a real chuck eye)
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Sirloin tip roast. It's also good made into jerky.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, everyone! I think I'll try the chuck eye first (hopefully it's a real chuck eye) and the sirloin tip next. Thanks again, I know I can always rely on you guys!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Of the ones you listed I have found the sirloin tip to be the best and most tender. Top round is probably second. Chuck eye is great as a steak (very rib eye like) so should make a great roast as well (assuming it is a proper chuck eye and not just round with the name added). London broil I tend to sear in a pan then broil. I have never tried roasting it. It works well like a steak if you marinade it to tenderize it a bit. Bottom round and chuck in my opinion work better as pot roast not oven roasts. Brisket I rarely cook so can't help you.

so long story short (in preference order):

oven roast - chuck eye (if good), sirloin tip, eye of round/top round
    pot roast - chuck, bottom round (though really I find this a blah piece of meat.)

Steak like - london broil or chuck eye cut into steaks (if a real chuck eye)
    Yep...
    I tend to think of "Roast beef" as a large clean, but decently marbled, chunk of meat, seared on the outside, then slow roasted, and but at least med-rare in the middle. That sucker had better be red/pink! But I suppose that's a personal issue. I just hate over cooked roast.

Now, that pot roast is a whole other story. I pretty much always used a good chuck, or 7bone blade... lot of fat and connective tissues in it... and cook it until it is melting. I don't call that "roast beef".

I never do london broil or chuck steaks... if I want steak I go get double cut ribeyes or porterhouse or some such.
    Briskets get bought for smoking for BBQ on occasion though.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.