My food evolution began long ago when I discovered I could make BBQ sauce that was much better than anything I could buy (unfortunately it isn't paleo). I had to ask myself why I was buying canned spaghetti and pizza sauce or taco mix or anything pre-mixed when I could probably make it better and cheaper myself. Then came gardening and a wonderful husband who was a talented cook. The result is not only wonderful meals, but three adult children who are either foodies or chefs and are slowly becoming convinced that Primal is the way to eat.

Along the way, Hubby and I realized that one of the most radical things you could do was to grow and cook your own food. When I talk about this with people who are having weight or medical issues and they ask me how I eat, one of their primary reasons for blowing me off is they don't have time to cook. I ask them what else they would be doing with their time? Messing around on the computer or watching TV? They just look at me and say, "Too much work," and walk away.

Several of us are in Higher Ed. and we are coming across more and more young adults who can't cook. My daughter even discovered that more than a few of the kids in her freshman class weren't even allowed to use the microwave let alone the stove or a knife. How far from primal can you get? We have a community garden at the college and we actually make a point of taking freshmen there to show them where their food comes from. These kids wouldn't know what to do with a garden and stove let alone being dropped in the middle of the wilderness with only a knife and a match. I find this alarming, the garden and stove part, not the knife and match part. Knowing how to cook and grow your own food seems to me to be a necessary skill. Maybe I am wrong.

The thing about Primal way of life that I find attractive is the necessity of cooking your own food. Was cooking a skill you had to learn? How has it changed your life? Do you feel differently about food?