Thread: Day 8 of whole 30 and my heart rate is rising? page

BygoneCat is offline Member

Day 8 of whole 30 and my heart rate is rising?

I have been 80-85% for quite a while now. However, I have a number of autoimmune conditions so a week ago I bit the bullet and decided to try a strict Whole 30. The good news is that my doctor, an internist, has been encouraging me to do strct paleo for quite a while. I was ready for some carb flu but not for my heart rate to go haywire. I have low blood pressure (usually 90/60 or less) and both orthostatic hypotension and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, so this is not unheard of. However, it has been under control, and for the last two days it has been noticeably higher - 112-130 for no clear reason.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any reason? Thanks so much.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BygoneCat View Post
    I have been 80-85% for quite a while now. However, I have a number of autoimmune conditions so a week ago I bit the bullet and decided to try a strict Whole 30. The good news is that my doctor, an internist, has been encouraging me to do strct paleo for quite a while. I was ready for some carb flu but not for my heart rate to go haywire. I have low blood pressure (usually 90/60 or less) and both orthostatic hypotension and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, so this is not unheard of. However, it has been under control, and for the last two days it has been noticeably higher - 112-130 for no clear reason.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any reason? Thanks so much.
    I've never done a Whole 30 per se, but last Sept I reduced my protein enough to finally go into Nutritional Ketosis. By mid Nov I noticed my pulse was up by about 2/3, which I attributed to less exercise and more work stress. A checkup in early Dec revealed I was quite hyperthyroid. I dropped my iodine supplement (Iodoral, 12mg) and my pulse is slowly coming back down - I now only have another 10 bpm or so to be back to my historical norms.

I think the SAD stresses the thyroid - and to different degrees in different people. But it might be worth checking your thyroid. HTH

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    More bone broth, more electrolytes. You'v lost water weight. This almost always happens, and I don't know why they don't warn you. You need to raise your blood pressure. Salt is the easiest fix, but also find sources of the other essential electrolytes to compliment and balance.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    More bone broth, more electrolytes. You'v lost water weight. This almost always happens, and I don't know why they don't warn you. You need to raise your blood pressure. Salt is the easiest fix, but also find sources of the other essential electrolytes to compliment and balance.
    Thank you so much for this. I have had two cups of well-salted bone broth today and already feel better. Very timely because I just finished making a big tub of oxtail broth yesterday and had not yet decided what to do with it. My heart rate has gone down 20 bpm since I woke up this morning! I am so, so, so happy for this simple solution. Any other suggestions on other good sources of electrolytes?

Annlee, I just had blood drawn this morning for bloodwork. I am not sure if a thyroid panel was done, but I will see the doctor in a couple of weeks and will ask her about my thyroid. I am hoping this is just electrolytes.

Once I knew what to search for (electrolytes), there are lots of threads on this in the forum. I am going to try coconut water and a look into some supplements. Can't tell if lemon juice would work, but if so, I have a bag of lemons and a bag of limes.

matey is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know this is an old post, but it is the most relevant and I don't want to begin a new one. I have gone into ketosis about a week ago, and finally am loosing fat. The side effect is a pounding heart. The rate is normal but just very strong, I feel jittery too. Looking at the info online I think it is adrenaline being released to drive blood glucose. It's quite distressing as I feel that I was doing really well being in ketosis and loosing weight sooooo easilly. Do you think I'll adjust or do I need more carbs (80g at the monent) I've tried taking more salt, coconut oil, potassium, they all help a little, but still not quite normal. I drink plenty of water and herb teas, avoid coffee and tea, no pop/soda etc. totally sweetner free diet.
    Any ideas? how can I keep my weight loss and not get this horrible side effect?