Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you say something or just keep quiet? page 4

saady is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    My personal opinion is not to complain. However it is good for the coach to consider other situations (the team members may have particular religious beliefs disallowing some or all meats, alcohol, mixing of particular foods, etc...). I think you can bring whatever you want, and enough to share, and perhaps you can let the coach know beforehand. "My child eats/does not eat x, so I would like to bring y and the team is welcome to share it"

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Exactly, don't let anyone else be at all put out by your child's needs. Bring some rice pasta dish or something. Of course, sometime that doesn't even work. Some people get huffy when you don't eat their food. Doubt the coach is one of those sorts though.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    If this has been going on for a while, this might be a potential opportunity for your child (if they're up for it). Maybe suggest that they explain to the coach their dietary restrictions and that they feel left out because they're different during these carb feeding frenzies. Not only will the coach be made aware of the situation, your child can gain confidence in their ability to speak up for themselves!

If that's not an option, I would mention to the coach (preferably in private) what's going on. If this has been happening for a while, surely some middle ground can be reached for future sessions.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I'd probably be mortified if my parents decided to preach the gospel of __(insert anything)__ to someone I had to see regularly in an environment I really enjoyed. Awkward and embarrassing, not to mention appealing to authority (Internet diet gurus) is a quick way to be dubbed a loony. Not saying that those books are all wrong, but I don't doubt they have their flaws and objectionable advice, opinions, etc. Remember: All that glitters isn't gold
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I can see why you would think that but to be clear we are grain free for health reasons not because we read it in a book. I was grain free for a year before I ever read the book. My child has food restrictions as they are allergic to dairy, intolerant to gluten, react strongly to sugar, msg etc... I actually have to pay for the dinner if they attend and I have brought food for everyone in the past and that went over well. The kids actually seemed to eat more of what I brought than of the other food. The coach is actually aware that they have food restrictions from when I have offered to bring food previously. All the activities seem to involve unhealthy foods. I don't get it, donuts, cookies with candy with dye in them, french fries etc... none of our friends eat like this. So it's kind of amazing to me that a sports team would regularly promote such bad eating habits in kids. Many of the kids are overweight even though they swim miles a day. Unfortunately, this occurs regularly (once or twice a month) and it's sad to me that my child is choosing to avoid these important bonding activities because they feel left out of the food thing. They are not old enough or mature enough to handle this situation all the time. I guess I was just trying to think of a way to promote healthier options for the team. I had already offered to bring rice pasta and gluten free cake for my child to share but said child just wants to stay home and asked me not to tell them about any other team activities that involve food. I asked for advice on impulse this am as I was feeling frustrated to have to deal with yet another situation where my child is going to miss out or equally sad go and then be upset and sad and want to leave. Thanks for all the advice. I think we can put this topic to bed now.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    make a dish, take a dish
    I'd offer to bring a gluten free dish. Make it primal, make it awesome. if they refuse, then I'd eat it anyways.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi Primal123!

If you read your thread again, here is a suggestion - try getting your hands on an issue of "Living Without" magazine, it is commonly sold at health food stores.

My daughter has real issues with both gluten and dairy, and at one point in her life, was awfully bitter about it, no matter what I said or did. One issue of this mag in her hands just to peruse at her leisure, and she felt much, much better. It is dedicated to folks, especially kids, with multiple food sensitivities/allergies/intolerances, and includes recent research, recipes, real-life social life trouble shooting, sources of ingredients, reworking recipes, personal stories of living with eating differently, you name it. Fabulous mag that we subscribe to.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    I can see why you would think that but to be clear we are grain free for health reasons not because we read it in a book. I was grain free for a year before I ever read the book. My child has food restrictions as they are allergic to dairy, intolerant to gluten, react strongly to sugar, msg etc... I actually have to pay for the dinner if they attend and I have brought food for everyone in the past and that went over well. The kids actually seemed to eat more of what I brought than of the other food. The coach is actually aware that they have food restrictions from when I have offered to bring food previously. All the activities seem to involve unhealthy foods. I don't get it, donuts, cookies with candy with dye in them, french fries etc... none of our friends eat like this. So it's kind of amazing to me that a sports team would regularly promote such bad eating habits in kids. Many of the kids are overweight even though they swim miles a day. Unfortunately, this occurs regularly (once or twice a month) and it's sad to me that my child is choosing to avoid these important bonding activities because they feel left out of the food thing. They are not old enough or mature enough to handle this situation all the time. I guess I was just trying to think of a way to promote healthier options for the team. I had already offered to bring rice pasta and gluten free cake for my child to share but said child just wants to stay home and asked me not to tell them about any other team activities that involve food. I asked for advice on impulse this am as I was feeling frustrated to have to deal with yet another situation where my child is going to miss out or equally sad go and then be upset and sad and want to leave. Thanks for all the advice. I think we can put this topic to bed now.
    Dang, that is a real bummer. I don't know why people are so bent on poisoning kids either. I guess when they were kids they could eat what they wanted to and get away with it and so they want to live vicariously through them- even though they should be able to see that our kids are no longer getting away with it. It's having a cumulative effect through the generations. Same with school lunches, they are awful. Sorry.

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    I've been part of adventure racing and mountain bike race relay teams where the carb loading pasta fest the night before is the norm. I'm coeliac, and lactose intolerant, and MSG gives me the raging runs, so yeah....pasta and bread banquets don't sit so well with me! Kinda bugs me that sports nutrition hasn't caught up terribly well with the 21st century. I have to bring my own food to these things, have people ask why, and think that I'm "faddy" - um, nope, medically diagnosed problems thanks, nobody needs a team member with chronic diarrhoea during a race do they?

I have usually given feedback at these events if there were no gluten free options provided, and actually at one of my regular bike races they have started to provide a gluten and dairy free rice based dish, and gluten free bread and porridge at breakfast on request (I don't eat the stuff, it's gross, but probably a lot of other sporty coeliacs do) so turns out I wasn't the only one. If you don't ask you don't get.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    I'd offer to bring a gluten free dish. Make it primal, make it awesome. if they refuse, then I'd eat it anyways.
    exactly *nodnod*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234