Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you say something or just keep quiet? page 3

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ha, I only just got your username reference. Nice! The Dude abides...
    greatest comedy movie ever!
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I was being sarcastic man

I agree with you completely haha
    Clearly I missed the sarcasm. Oops.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think it's personally reasonable for you to speak up for your child. That is to say, to go to the coach and talk about this issue of always being left out -- not because you are a difficult parent, but because the child has a real issue.

Nut allergies are taken seriously in the US. This coach would not be allowed to have a "nut up" before a game anymore, you know?

Here in NZ, GF is taken seriously. You could see if you could set a meeting and find out if the coach can think of alternatives. this way, your child gets to participate, which is important for your child and for team building (which is really the point of these activities. . . this is for team building).

I think if you took that approach, it would go over fine. Just "here's the problem my kid is having. . . and I was wondering if there's a way to solve it."
    Yes, this. I think this is totally reasonable and does not make one "one of those parents" that people seem to hate. You are coming to the coach out of concern for your child's emotional and physical well-being. Put it in the framework of medical necessity, when it comes to the need for gluten-free options. Perhaps make some easy suggestions, like having fruit or potato-based stuff available? It may just be french fries, but you know, that's better than gluten anyway.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    100% concur. Can't believe it took me so long to spot it! And here I was thinking that you didn't look very "Paleo", lol
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    make a dish, take a dish
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I think you mean "greatest movie of all time".

OP, I wouldn't say anything. I agree with others that it would only come off as snippy and obnoxious. An optional, free event for your kid is not really the time to get on your soapbox. I'd just bring a separate dish for your kid to eat and share with others.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope nope nope. Keep your mouth shut. This is your child's swim coach, and you do not want to appear like a hovering ballistic soccer mom. Feed your child what you want but don't enforce it upon others. Besides, you do not want to antagonize sone one involved in your child's life.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Load up your kid with meat early, then send him to the pasta dinner for only the salad.
    If they have problems with him skipping the pasta, he can just say he's gluten sensitive.

Is this a fundraising dinner? Pasta is notoriously cheap and makes good profit.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahelyse View Post
    Unless its a required event, I wouldn't say anything. I used to be part of a crew team that would have spaghetti dinners the night before a regatta. Not everyone participated, so if you really don't want to go, don't.

That being said, it probably is a fun bonding experience, so I might inquire as to options for those with gluten sensitivity, or (even better!) offer to cook up a few things yourself to bring!

Just don't shove your beliefs down someone else's throat, no matter how scientifically sound those beliefs are.
    Totally agree with this 100% Besides, unless you kid has any major food issues, you could put this into their 20% and call it a day.
    Georgette

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely bring up your concerns with the coach if you want to alienate and embarrass your kid in front of a coach he respects and his teammates. This type of approach ought to work well until your kid hits his teen years and starts to rebel because he/she feels like a freak show.

Do what you believe is 'right' in your own home, and try not to let that spill over into the other areas of your life. It's kind of similar to the born agains knocking on your door on Sunday with their briefcase and kids in tow. I mean, food is kind of like religion -- practice what you want at home, but pushing your beliefs/wants on others is only going to backfire. If you make your paleo lifestyle a 'big deal' your kids are going to think they are 'different'.

Just my 2cents./lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast