Thread: Adding potatoes after 10 years of VLC: ouch!

Threaded View

Adding potatoes after 10 years of VLC: ouch!

OK, after reading all the discussions about certain starches being appropriate, I decided to add in a few more carbs. This is after 10 years of LC primal (ie, no gluten whatsoever for those 10 years, usually carbs below 30 to 40 grams a day; often VLC at less than 20 gm a day).

Yesterday was the big day: I roasted 2 small potatoes, 1 parsnip, 1 rutabaga, 2 beets, and 4 carrots (the potatoes and parsnip are the only unusual veggie for me, although I haven't eaten a lot of the others recently). Then I ate far too much since I was hungry. An hour later, my stomach was killing me, but I figured it might be because I had overeaten, not because the potatoes or parsnip was special.

Today my stomach still hurts.

So, for now, I'll probably keep eating root vegetables, but stick to rutabagas, beets, and carrots for now. Adding in carbs is scary after all these years--and getting an immediate feedback of pain didn't help matters!

I'm 52, have celiacs, am generally in great health, but I wouldn't mind losing 3 lbs of menopausal weight gain which is being a little stubborn. But really, I'm at a perfectly fine weight and size, so this is about vanity not health. But in trying to lose those few lbs, I've cut out lots of veggies and berries that I used to eat in abundance (my partner is an organic veggie and berry farmer, so I've been spoiled). I know that's dumb, so I'm adding the veggies and berries back in and cutting back a bit on nuts and cheese, which I can easily overdo.

My questions for discussion are:
    -has anyone else had pain when trying to add back in some taters?
    -is there really a good reason to add starches in?
    -I'm happy to increase carbs to between 50 and 100 grams a day, in the interests of eating reasonable amounts of colorful veggies and berries. But what modifications will I have to make to keep from gaining weight?
    Last edited by tiva; 01-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.