Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adding potatoes after 10 years of VLC: ouch! page 3

tiva is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    Not if they make you feel terrible. This board has been overrun by a small number of potato evangelists who feel compelled to tell everyone, in every thread, that potatoes are the solution to all dietary problems, despite the large and growing number of contrary reports of bloating, gas, weight gain, and crazy blood sugar spikes.

Frankly, I'm baffled. It's starting to look like Raw Vegan Land, where if you can't thrive on a fruit-only diet, you're either doing it wrong or it's your fault.

Hint: not everyone's metabolism is the same. A slim, healthy young male looking to lose 10-15 pounds of subcutaneous vanity fat does not have the same metabolic and hormonal environment as a post-menopausal woman who has already lost 100+ pounds on VLC.

If you're literally looking to lose three pounds, just do the Egg Diet -- eat only eggs for a week.
    Thanks. I'm looking to stay healthy for the next 30 years, at more or less the same weight and same activity level (ie, tons of skiing, biking, kayaking, and hiking, all for fun).

For a decade, I had figured low carb worked for me, so I'd stick to it for life. But all this recent discussion of starches has made me wonder if I'm messing with my future health.

To be honest, I don't even like starches compared to other veggies, fat, cheese, protein. If given the choice between a roasted rutabaga and a roasted potato, I'll pick the rutabaga every time.

So I guess I have my answer. If you love starches and they work well for your body, eat them. If not, don't.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Are you saying there's a way to reduce libido? Nothing has ever done that.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiva View Post
    Thanks. I'm looking to stay healthy for the next 30 years, at more or less the same weight and same activity level (ie, tons of skiing, biking, kayaking, and hiking, all for fun).

For a decade, I had figured low carb worked for me, so I'd stick to it for life. But all this recent discussion of starches has made me wonder if I'm messing with my future health.

To be honest, I don't even like starches compared to other veggies, fat, cheese, protein. If given the choice between a roasted rutabaga and a roasted potato, I'll pick the rutabaga every time.

So I guess I have my answer. If you love starches and they work well for your body, eat them. If not, don't.
    That is exactly it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I actually totally agree - if you're thriving on VLC and don't even like starches then it obviously suits you! Keep going

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Are you saying there's a way to reduce libido? Nothing has ever done that.
    Ha, well the guy who got me into Primal eating in the first place kept warning me that being a vegetarian was going to kill my libido (though eight years of that WOE had no such consequence ). VLC however, succeeded.

LC obviously suits you so maybe the veggie route is an option - ha
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

otzi Guest

If all your labs (like cholesterol, triglycerides, thyroid, CO2, liver enzymes, etc...) all are within a healthy range, then keep doing what you are doing.

For me, low carbs meant low temperature, low thyroid function, hairloss, cold feet, high cholesterol, and high fasting blood glucose.

Adding approx 150g/day starches for just 1 month has raised temp, warmed feet, and lowered FBG.

otzi Guest
    Not if they make you feel terrible. This board has been overrun by a small number of potato evangelists who feel compelled to tell everyone, in every thread, that potatoes are the solution to all dietary problems, despite the large and growing number of contrary reports of bloating, gas, weight gain, and crazy blood sugar spikes.

Frankly, I'm baffled. It's starting to look like Raw Vegan Land, where if you can't thrive on a fruit-only diet, you're either doing it wrong or it's your fault.

Hint: not everyone's metabolism is the same. A slim, healthy young male looking to lose 10-15 pounds of subcutaneous vanity fat does not have the same metabolic and hormonal environment as a post-menopausal woman who has already lost 100+ pounds on VLC.

If you're literally looking to lose three pounds, just do the Egg Diet -- eat only eggs for a week.

So...you lied when you wrote: Book Review: Perfect Health Diet (Scribner Edition, December 2012) - GNOLLS.ORG

It’s difficult to communicate just how comprehensive the new Perfect Health Diet is. You could pick almost any paragraph with a footnote, blow that single study up to book length, add breathless hype and a celebrity endorsement, and start a new fad diet equivalent to hundreds of others that are sitting on bookstore shelves, right now. Reading the PHD exposes both the bankruptcy of mainstream dietary advice, and the poverty of most well-known alternatives (all of which, according to the statistics, fail miserably). Most importantly, it provides us with a credible, science-based alternative that isn’t vulnerable to the typical naive arguments like “But cavemen only lived to age 25″ or “That’ll raise my cholesterol.”

The PHD is clearly the product of many years of careful research, real-world testing, and hard work. As I said above, “The Perfect Health Diet is the new baseline from which all future attempts to determine the optimal human diet must be argued and measured.”

In case my point isn’t clear: yes, that means you should buy a copy and read it. Even if you find your own nutritional optimum to lie outside their guidelines, the supplement recommendations alone will save you the price of the book…

…and the wealth of information it contains may allow you, or someone you know and value, to attain perfect health.
    You gave a very good review of a book advocating 2/3 plant 1/3 meat. This book is VERY PRO POTATO! It is the very basis of nearly ALL of the new found love of starch around here.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    That's what I go with. If I feel for a tator I'll have it but to dictate that you "must" have them is a bit far fetched.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-31-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Zach is offline Banned

Hahahaha, oh my god i havnt even read past this post but seriously J, what kind of primal dope are you smoking? What about your best bud Angry Dick? Seems like hes a lot less angry after ditching the low carb mentality. What about his legion of followers who seem to be doing great following along? How about the PHD diet that tons of people are following? Actually it would seem that the VLC crowd is in the minority these days, whining and complaining about those damn carb pushers.

Seriously, get over it.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Or better; do the egg AND potato diet for two weeks instead, recarbing with potatoes 3 days a week…

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast