Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding potatoes after 10 years of VLC: ouch! page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    But I did the special paleo electrolyte drink!

I think the fact I was already in good health attributed to my symptoms. I was functioning fine, before, and removing carbs from my diet so suddenly did me in. I probably would have died if I wasn't saved by Ray Peat.

I will take a moment to quietly bow at his altar.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

tiva is offline Junior Member
    This forum is certainly more entertaining than the LC forum I usually hang out on, where we're always very supportive. Supportive is good, but it's fun to watch you guys argue.

And yes, I can lose the couple pounds with a fast (not a complete fast, but fast-5 usually works, or else a protein fast. Or I can just go back to induction, cut out the nuts, limit cheese and cream, and eat a little less. But that's too simple, so instead I play around with nutritional ketosis, very low carb, etc).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I probably would have died if I wasn't saved by Ray Peat.

I will take a moment to quietly bow at his altar.
    Be careful Derp... this could be you soon... Renee and girls speaking in tongues - YouTube
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    OP, for what it's worth I did six months VLC / LC, reintroduced starch recently and feel a million times better for it. My diet's now moderate - high carb, and I feel great and haven't put on weight. Everyone's different though.

Reintroducing starchy carbs is worth it for the increase in libido alone...! IMHO
    Last edited by YogaBare; 01-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Reintroducing carbs is worth it because thy friggin taste good! Nuff said.

But I must be patient for now...

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Be careful Derp... this could be you soon... Renee and girls speaking in tongues - YouTube
    That already is Zach and myself during our worship hour
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Then the 2 months I was on VLC and felt like I was dying says what? Let me guess, adjustment period? I guess it only works when it supports your argument.

See how silly anecdotes sound in this context.

Your stomach lining is mutated, you'll have discomforts while adjusting, it's just common sense. When you remove something completely for a long period of time, it's taken over by something else, when you add it back in, it's viewed as a foreign object until you return to normal.
    yeah cos everyone is the same as you. Geez.
    OP I think if you still feel fine VLC then stick with it.
    Someone else mentioned fasting, I agree.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Going very low on carbs may be good for controlling hunger and calories when losing weight, but then it feel very right to reintroducing some starches after leaning out. Personally I see this very pragmatic, going low on carbs may be a very good idea for a period of time, and if having health issues, but most people doesn’t need to be in ketosis for long periods...

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    - Meals are more enjoyable. I am including potatoes, rice, or plantains with every meal. I find meals extremely satisfying as I must have been getting bored with LC. I don't have as much urge to snack immediately after eating dinner on nuts, chocolate, and cheese as I was doing when on LC.
    Yay, you decided to try plantains!! I plan on cooking some up tonight w/my leftover liver and onions.
    Aren't they delicious?

I picked up some yucca to make yucca fries. I've never had it before. Hopefully it's good!

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiva View Post
    -is there really a good reason to add starches in?
    Not if they make you feel terrible. This board has been overrun by a small number of potato evangelists who feel compelled to tell everyone, in every thread, that potatoes are the solution to all dietary problems, despite the large and growing number of contrary reports of bloating, gas, weight gain, and crazy blood sugar spikes.

Frankly, I'm baffled. It's starting to look like Raw Vegan Land, where if you can't thrive on a fruit-only diet, you're either doing it wrong or it's your fault.

Hint: not everyone's metabolism is the same. A slim, healthy young male looking to lose 10-15 pounds of subcutaneous vanity fat does not have the same metabolic and hormonal environment as a post-menopausal woman who has already lost 100+ pounds on VLC.

Quote Originally Posted by tiva View Post
    -I'm happy to increase carbs to between 50 and 100 grams a day, in the interests of eating reasonable amounts of colorful veggies and berries. But what modifications will I have to make to keep from gaining weight?
    If you're literally looking to lose three pounds, just do the Egg Diet -- eat only eggs for a week.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast