Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eating your placenta! page 3

pogo0685 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    My midwife did this for me, for my second son. I still have some left, they are meant to also be great for menopause.
    Nothing gross about it. I considered eating it, but then decided it was easily to get made into capsules.
    My midwife is who did mine too, she charges $95 but its so worth it. I got a huge jar of pills and I still have well over half a jar left even taking 9 pills daily for the first few days, then 6 daily, then 3 daily and now I take one every other day or so.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Hospital midwife?
    Mine did mine included in the cost of my home birth

pogo0685 is offline Junior Member
    No she is a home birth midwife, she just charges extra for it. That's awesome that it was free for you, I hope someday it will be the norm around.here, although 99% of people who have found out I had a home birth have asked questions like, did you give birth at home on purpose? Why would you do that? Did it hurt? Can they give you drugs at home? Are you sure that was safe? And they just go on and on. So before eating your placenta becomes normal I think the area I am in needs to see natural birth as normal.

that is what I thought, but wanted to check, hospital midwives prob wouldn't do anything like that.
    My first was born in the hospital but we had to fight to take his placenta home (we planted it under a lemon tree).
    Just to clarify the homebirth was not free ($3500) but the midwife didn't charge extra for the pool or to encapsulate my placenta.
    The rules have changed as far as I know, the government doesn't want to make it easy for them to happen, but of course they still will. Something to do with the insurance.
    I wish HB was normal, at first it felt amazing (and was very healing for my first sons traumatic, unnecesary c/s), but that is a whole other story lol. But then it just felt normal.
    I was sitting on my couch posting on fb 10 mins after he was out LOL
    I have had the same silly questions .

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I'm a midwife and to select "open minded" clients I do recommend dehydrating and encapsulating their placentas (there are professional companies that will do this for you or you can do it yourself). Recent research out of Europe shows that it reduces postpartum depression, increases iron stores and absorption, increases energy and helps your milk come in sooner. Clients who had struggled with postpartum depression with previous pregnancies and then encapsulated their placenta's after subsequent births swear by it. Myself, I've never had a baby but when I do I plan on encapsulating.

Eating...well I suppose if you can't encapsulate this is the next best thing. I've witnessed a few clients do it in the past. One with a shake and the other in a ground up spaghetti sauce. It smelled pretty intense when it was cooking and I'm quite sure that the high heat destroyed many of the vital enzymes that make it so beneficial...that being said, whatever turns your crank is fine by me.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori rock View Post
    Am I a crazy pregnant woman to want to consider this?
    In my opinion, it is no more wrong to eat placenta after giving birth to a child than it is to eat foreskin after being circumcised. Oh wait...

cori rock is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    In my opinion, it is no more wrong to eat placenta after giving birth to a child than it is to eat foreskin after being circumcised. Oh wait...
    haha...maybe we should post a topic on that seperately

Well, I'm gonna try it. As previous ladies have said (and I appreciate the honest opinions), there are potential benefits, even if it is based less on science and more on personal experience...it couldn't hurt I probably won't encapsulate it since I can't find someone here to do so and I dont' have the equipment to do it myself.

Sorry for weakening some stomachs if I do, but I'll post updates here for those who may be curious

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great decision.
    I really don't know why people think its so gross though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123