Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting enough protein page

oyezoyez is offline Junior Member

Getting enough protein

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys--

I've been a lurker for a while...so much great info on this forum! I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before.

Anyway, I've been eating and exercising more consciously over the past 3 months, going from about 185 to 165 lbs in the process. It's been great, and for about half this time I've been applying the PB principles and its felt even better than the first 10 lbs. I've also for sure put on muscle within the same time period, so I probably have lost closer to 25 lbs of fat.

The first 10 lbs I can attribute to just watching my calories through the "lose it" iPhone app. Now I'm well aware that PB does not require calorie counting, but i find the ritual of logging my foods and keeping track of nutrients to just keep me more accountable overall. I like the visual feedback it provides, and makes the process feel more like a game. Its without a doubt part of my success, and I don't plan on dumping it any time soon.

Now this is tangential to the real issue--I have a decent idea of how much protein I eat, and I don't think its enough. I know I should be shooting for around or just short of 1 gram per lb of lean muscle mass. If I'm 5' 9'' and 165, and even estimating liberally that my body fat is still around 20% (its probably lower, but bear with me here), then lean body mass is AT LEAST 132 lbs, meaning i should be getting AT LEAST 100 g of protein a day. Again, im being forgiving with these estimates.

Problem is that I know from my records that I average closer to 70-80 g a day. This seems to be on the very low end of my forgiving estimate. Given my fat intake (which im generally happy with, averaging 50+% of my daily calories) and my carb intake (typically less than 60g a day, less than 20% of calories), I just don't know how I could increase protein.

So my worries are twofold: a) I don't want to eat more meat, generally. I eat meat or eggs or whey usually twice a day, and eating more just doesn't feel right to me. I eat 5-7 oz grass-fed steaks multiple times a week, i love them, but I just don't know if I could stomach more than I'm already eating. b) I'm concerned that if I do force myself, going beyond satiety (although i have a consistent caloric deficit, I am not starving), then I will slow down fat loss.

I do know that if I sort of force myself to eat more protein, I'll probably gain muscle weight, which is fine. I just wanted to get your thoughts on how to get more protein, if it makes sense for me to get more protein if im still looking to lose fat, if it makes sense for me to abandon any (irrational?) attachment i have to a caloric deficit, or if i really should be paying attention to my gut that says it gets all the protein it wants. I'm torn between doing what i think is more correct nutritionally, and actually stomaching that. So I'm curious as to how all of you meet this protein goal, or if I should even be fixated on it. I have been lifting heaving things about twice a week, so I am looking to develop better muscle.

Sorry for the rambler, and thanks!

Tarlach is offline Member
    If you want to put on muscle, eat more meat. You don't need a caloric deficit to lose body fat.

I don't know how people can't get enough protein. I get in excess of 250g in one meal.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlach View Post
    I don't know how people can't get enough protein. I get in excess of 250g in one meal.
    How?
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

verdilak is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    How?
    I second that... how??
    Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

oyezoyez is offline Junior Member
    To clarify, I am still primarily more interested in losing fat, with builiding muscle being secondary. I know the latter can help induce the former, which is why i know I probably should eat more protein.

So yes...How?

Sterling is offline Member
    If losing fat is primarily your goal aim for 1900 calories/day. Of that 1900 cals, eat 200 grams of protein (42% of total cals), make up the rest with fat (30-40%) and carbs (about 20%). Keeping protein high offers A LOT of satiety so lowering your calories won't be so difficult because you'll stay fuller, longer.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Good advice Sterling, but still how to get excess of 250 grams of protein in one setting? That is one serious big meal! 1000 grams of ribeye or entrecôte gives around 267 gram of protein.

Maybe, just maybe, I could eat a slab of meat like that once in a while and then only after a 16 - 18 hour IF. I'm not saying it can't be done, but on a regular basis? Impressive.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile
    Tarlach, what are your body stats? I'm just under 6 feet and about 145 pounds. My meals vary in size as much as in timing, but when I eat a biggish one it's something like:

pound of steak
    1/4 pound burger
    5 eggs with 2 tbsp butter (sometimes discard some whites for extra fat)
    some bacon on the side

Not quite your 250g of protein, but definitely over 200 (according to Fitday estimates).

On a light day, it might look more like:

2-4 eggs with 1 tbsp butter
    1/4 pound burger
    a tin of sardines in water

That's less than 100g protein, but higher fat (70-30ish instead of 60-40). "Only" 1100 kcals, which in theory is well below my caloric requirements. But I never have any problems with lack of energy and I'm not losing muscle.

From day to day I either go 18-24 hours between meals, or eat twice within a narrow 'window' of a few hours.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Whey or another protein powder mixed with water is always an option for more protein if you feel like you're not getting enough.

Sterling is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    Good advice Sterling, but still how to get excess of 250 grams of protein in one setting? That is one serious big meal! 1000 grams of ribeye or entrecôte gives around 267 gram of protein.

Maybe, just maybe, I could eat a slab of meat like that once in a while and then only after a 16 - 18 hour IF. I'm not saying it can't be done, but on a regular basis? Impressive.
    Eating 250 grams in one sitting wasn't my quote, but you could eat a little over 2 lbs of chicken in one sitting and get 250 grams.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast