Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say to people who say, "Oh, it's like Atkins"? page

What do you say to people who say, "Oh, it's like Atkins"?

I've never officially "dieted" before, except for a few weeks trying WW. (One of my main issues: Packaged and chain-restaurant meals were easy to look up in the PointsTracker, but calculating points for actual homemade food was really confusing.) I've never tried Atkins and I don't really know what it is, except that it's low-carb. So I was a little taken aback when I tried to explain PB to friends and they immediately said, "Oh, it's like Atkins. I tried that, but I started craving carbs." Does anyone have a quick response to that, other than, "No it's not"? I don't want to sound uneducated about my new WOE, because that makes me sound like a wacko crash dieter... but I am not familiar enough with the other "diets" to know how to explain the difference. Thanks!!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    As far as I know Atkins is low carb yes, and primal doesn't have to be.
    But I think atkins also was OK with artificial sweeteners, and low carb bars and crap like that.
    We just eat real whole, unprocessed foods on primal

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Atkins is a diet - the structured kind that has phases and aren't meant to be long term, and are strictly intended to help people lose weight. Paleo isn't a diet in those terms. There aren't any phases with cheesy names, and weight loss is only one of the many benefits of paleo. Paleo is also a long-term WOE, and isn't necessarily low-carb. I think most paleos eat on the lower end of the carb curve, but it varies per individual. Also, Atkins includes grains, artificial sweeteners, seed oils, diet sodas, processed foods, and all kinds of crap that paleos restrict or eliminate. They have very little in common, except that paleo is sometimes low carb.

Not exactly a quick response, but hopefully I've highlighted enough of the differences to make it easier to explain.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Dammit, Ayla, you beat me to it!

Thanks, everybody! I have bought into the whole idea of PB being long term (i.e., still going to do it for other reasons after I reach my weight goals), but somehow that doesn't make it easier to explain. People seem to want to boil it down to what you "can't" eat. Therefore if you "can't" eat carbs on Atkins, this sounds like Atkins. UGH.

It's not that I "can't" eat that slice of bread/ tortilla/ chip, or that I desperately want to eat it but am budgeting my bread/ tortilla/ chip allotment for a later time. I am just choosing not to eat it completely, in favor of other food (like bacon. and kerrygold butter. and avocados. mmmmm) Turns out that walking past the candy jar isn't hard if you actually don't want the candy.

Maybe just say you are avoiding foods that don't make you feel good.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Luckily I don't ever have to worry about anyone saying something so offensive to me
    nihil

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Primal is more of a lifestyle, Atkins is a diet. Primal encompasses much more than just the food you eat. It is also about exercise, sleep and stress management. (And other stuff I am leaving out.)

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    I'm tired of the misconceptions of Atkins around here. Atkins like PB is supposed to be a lifestyle change and honestly they are not that dis-simular. I did Atkins years ago with great success. I lost about 80lbs and kept it off for about a year. The only reason it failed is me. The program did not fail. Atkins recommends whole foods(not Whole Foods the store)and requires that you add at least some kind of exercise to your life. Atkins is not the bullshit products at the supermarket. Once you reach your goal weight you are supposed to match the amount of carbs you eat to your lifestyle and activity level to maintain that weight. Sounds kinda familiar to me. Read the book before you say something based on speculation and hear/say.
    Last edited by whitebear; 01-29-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    I'm tired of the misconceptions of Atkins around here. Atkins like PB is supposed to be a lifestyle change and honestly they are not that dis-simular. I did Atkins years ago with great success. I lost about 80lbs and kept it off for about a year. The only reason it failed is me. The program did not fail. Atkins recommends whole foods(not Whole Foods the store)and requires that you add at least some kind of exercise to your life. Atkins is not the bullshit products at the supermarket. Once you reach your goal weight you are supposed to match the amount of carbs you eat to your lifestyle and activity level to maintain that weight. Sounds kinda familiar to me. Read the book before you say something based on speculation and hear/say.
    I just looked it up on their website, and they are promoting their Atkins products. I don't know how those can be real foods.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast