Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What do you say to people who say, "Oh, it's like Atkins"? page 6

janie is offline Senior Member
    Oh come on! You are apparently saying that his recommendation to eat a diet high in saturated fat and protein and low in processed carbs makes him a "messiah to the worst of the worst in the food industry"? BS.

I've read all his books and he recommends eating eggs and chops and roasts and chickens and butter, etc. While he doesn't discuss sources, for most people their source is their grocery store. You are working at demonizing him b/c he wasn't recommending grass fed? Faulted for not being ahead of his time in every way?

You might not have noticed but many people can't afford grass fed and many here still get their food at the store.

And while I'm not familiar with the statistics of all diets, I can tell you that I struggled for my entire life to lose weight and followed every diet to no avail. It was the Atkins diet that finally gave me results and I know of many others who succeeded with his plan.

Why do you want to pick a fight? Why not just accept that his plan, which is vastly similar to Primal, has improved the health of so many?

And WHY is your avatar of the idiotic Dr. Oz, a laughing stock for so many for his CW, raspberry ketone, weight-loss-
    money-maker-of-the-minute, complete immune to science, money-grubbing way? If you like him, the complete antithesis of primal, why are you even here. To irritate people?

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Oh come on! You are apparently saying that his recommendation to eat a diet high in saturated fat and protein and low in processed carbs makes him a "messiah to the worst of the worst in the food industry"? BS.

I've read all his books and he recommends eating eggs and chops and roasts and chickens and butter, etc. While he doesn't discuss sources, for most people their source is their grocery store. You are working at demonizing him b/c he wasn't recommending grass fed? Faulted for not being ahead of his time in every way?

You might not have noticed but many people can't afford grass fed and many here still get their food at the store.

And while I'm not familiar with the statistics of all diets, I can tell you that I struggled for my entire life to lose weight and followed every diet to no avail. It was the Atkins diet that finally gave me results and I know of many others who succeeded with his plan.

Why do you want to pick a fight? Why not just accept that his plan, which is vastly similar to Primal, has improved the health of so many?
    You really don't think the popularity of his diet was a huge credit to the livestock industry? I understand many people still eat conventional meat and that's a personal choice, but let's not pretend that the industrial feedlot operations are not by far the worst food industry offenders in nearly every category. I'm haven't denied Atkins and all the low carb spin-offs had it's share of success stories just as any other diet plans, but the overall success rate is as dismal as any other diet. I actually think weight watchers and the glycemic index diet are the most successful statistically, for whatever it's worth.
    And I like Oz because he's hilarious as well as entertaining, not because I follow any of his advice, whatever that might be from week to week.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I'm not blaming Atkins for this, but I think he undershot and then overshot his carbs. The induction ketosis phase was too low carb for most people, and the later phases were too high carb and approached CW. It was hard to stick to, and was legitimately attacked for being dangerously low-carb. The Atkins phases missed the Primal permanent ~80-120g carb sweet spot. The fake food business angle didn't help either.

Sample answer to OP: "Primal/Paleo is an evolved () version of the original 1972 Atkins. After more research, we've learned from the mistakes of the original Atkins. Paleo/Primal is lower carb than the government recommendations, but still has enough carb from veggies to fill your body's needs. Eating Primally is easier to stick to, doesn't rely on pre-packaged foods, and works."

And that's when you pull up your shirt and show off your weight loss and/or six pack and tell them to go pound Himalayan pink salt.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Forgot:
    You are obviously the sort that likes to needle, insult and put down others. How sad for you.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Who gives a F**K what they think it it is . Just eat what you want and let them do what they want.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    If they ask, I often say it is like Old Atkins, with none of the 'products'.

I am a pro-Atkins person. One thing I find annoying about the common perception of Atkins, is how his 'start at low carb and work your way up to find the level of carb that is right for you' section is ignored. Critiquers like to glom onto one aspect of his diet, and ignore all the rest. If you read the book, you will find his approach is very similar to Mark's carbohydrate curve, except that he recommends that everyone start low and work up. And having AS treats sounds like a perfect use of the 20%.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    I'm not blaming Atkins for this, but I think he undershot and then overshot his carbs. The induction ketosis phase was too low carb for most people, and the later phases were too high carb and approached CW. It was hard to stick to, and was legitimately attacked for being dangerously low-carb. The Atkins phases missed the Primal permanent ~80-120g carb sweet spot. The fake food business angle didn't help either.

Sample answer to OP: "Primal/Paleo is an evolved () version of the original 1972 Atkins. After more research, we've learned from the mistakes of the original Atkins. Paleo/Primal is lower carb than the government recommendations, but still has enough carb from veggies to fill your body's needs. Eating Primally is easier to stick to, doesn't rely on pre-packaged foods, and works."

And that's when you pull up your shirt and show off your weight loss and/or six pack and tell them to go pound Himalayan pink salt.
    Induction is at least two week at a max of 20g carb a day. Maintenance for most falls in the 50-100g range.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456