Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What do you say to people who say, "Oh, it's like Atkins"? page 5

Timthetaco Guest
    "Oh, it's like Atkins?"
    "No, it is Atkins."

For all intents and purposes, it's Atkins with a sweet ass mythology attached.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    "Promote" is an inaccurate term. For most people CAFO meats was all that was available or that they were familiar with in the chain groceries. You are right that grass-fed was not promoted but it is only recently understood and returned to, at least in the USA. While the plan always allowed for a limited amount of artificial sweeteners, that is a far cry from their being "promoted". The current company, which obviously works at promoting an expanded list of products, is quite another story.
    He encouraged all meat consumption. CAFO's were certainly well known about, especially by someone like Atkins. Atkins nutritionals in the 80's and 90's had all sorts of products filled with AS. Atkins himself used to brag about all the sweets his wife used to make him. The funny part about those products is that they were just as filling as a normal chocolate bar and contained just as many or even more calories. In a lot of the cases the ingedients were even worse. A snickers bar would generally be a healthier choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    "Oh, it's like Atkins?"
    "No, it is Atkins."

For all intents and purposes, it's Atkins with a sweet ass mythology attached.
    From a lot of menu's I see posted by people here, they are basically eating the Atkins diet. Butter, bacon and cream, non starchy veges, eggs and some berries.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 01-31-2013 at 01:44 AM.

edit

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Nah. There's been a lot of re-releases and different books. But the main ones were "Atkins '1972". Atkins new diet revolution and the last one published by Volek and westman a few years ago.
    I own WAY too many diet books. I kind of collect them, especially old ones. I have a few old Pritikin and Mcdougall books.I even have an extremely old copy of John yudkins "This slimming business" which was the Atkins before Atkins.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    He encouraged all meat consumption. CAFO's were certainly well known about, especially by someone like Atkins. Atkins nutritionals in the 80's and 90's had all sorts of products filled with AS. Atkins himself used to brag about all the sweets his wife used to make him. The funny part about those products is that they were just as filling as a normal chocolate bar and contained just as many or even more calories. In a lot of the cases the ingedients were even worse. A snickers bar would generally be a healthier choice.
    So you got issues w/Atkins. I got it. But your stretching it to think that grass-fed meats would have been mentioned or promoted over 20 years ago, at least in the USA. And you completely missed my point that artificial sweeteners were/are limited to 3 per day. Your criticisms are small compared to the health his plan brought so many.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Ayla-

The first book was entitled "Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution" and the 2nd "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution". Either of these will give you the core of his work. He is also an entertaining and engaging author. If I wanted to read the essence of his work, I'd go with either of those.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    So you got issues w/Atkins. I got it. But your stretching it to think that grass-fed meats would have been mentioned or promoted over 20 years ago, at least in the USA. And you completely missed my point that artificial sweeteners were/are limited to 3 per day. Your criticisms are small compared to the health his plan brought so many.
    Of course grass-fed known about because CAFO's were known about. And before them they were the norm. Atkins was and still is a messiah to the worst of the worst in the food industry.
    And Atkins success stories are no more numerous than any other diet trend.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast