Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say to people who say, "Oh, it's like Atkins"? page 3

janie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree completely with Whitebear. I struggled with weight all my life and ultimately got to my current healthy weight by eating the whole foods -- good fats, meats and veggies mostly -- that Atkins recommends. I know many people who have done the same. I'd have the occasional bar or low carb wrap but dropped those as I refined the plan and became more primal. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Atkins for my success, for his wisdom and for how he stood up (and was vilified) by the lowfat CW crazies for promoting saturated fat and protein as the core of one's diet.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I think I might get the original book to read, I am quite curious now.
    I didn't realise there was a difference until today, and id like to know more

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Robert promoted the consumption of CAFO meat and artificial sweetneners in his books throughout the 80's and 90's.
    "Promote" is an inaccurate term. For most people CAFO meats was all that was available or that they were familiar with in the chain groceries. You are right that grass-fed was not promoted but it is only recently understood and returned to, at least in the USA. While the plan always allowed for a limited amount of artificial sweeteners, that is a far cry from their being "promoted". The current company, which obviously works at promoting an expanded list of products, is quite another story.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    I'm tired of the misconceptions of Atkins around here. Atkins like PB is supposed to be a lifestyle change and honestly they are not that dis-simular. I did Atkins years ago with great success. I lost about 80lbs and kept it off for about a year. The only reason it failed is me. The program did not fail. Atkins recommends whole foods(not Whole Foods the store)and requires that you add at least some kind of exercise to your life. Atkins is not the bullshit products at the supermarket. Once you reach your goal weight you are supposed to match the amount of carbs you eat to your lifestyle and activity level to maintain that weight. Sounds kinda familiar to me. Read the book before you say something based on speculation and hear/say.
    +1
    Yes, you can have low-carb products, but you don't have to. Not much different than PB's 80/20 thing.
    The core of the plan is still based on whole foods. The products and the new frozen foods are marketing. Everyone tries to make money somehow and there's nothing wrong with that. Just like Mark sells his books and protein powder.
    I am amazed at how people (not just here, people in general) rush to judgement based on hearsay.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    "yeah, only more fucking badass and better researched."
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much what I say, too. And less strict, more nutrients, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Ah, and the joy has been that I have maintained a 70+ pound loss for over 3 years and gotten healthier too.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I say "no, not really" then explain what it really is.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Yup. Why should you have to explain yourself to them? If they really want to know, tell them, but if they're not interested, don't waste your time.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's funny because I was reading about a bodybuilder diet today and it's pretty much basically the primal blueprint with a low-fat angle. Lots of meat, sweet potatoes before noon, as many veggies as you want and exercise your life away. But since nobody knows about bodybuilder diets, they're not going to say "wow, that sounds like a bodybuilder diet" to you. So many diets are all so similar. Just Eat Real Food is where they seem to converge.

Anyway, if anybody says something like that to me I tell them, no, it's not like Atkins because I eat all the carbohydrate I want. Just turns out I don't want that much. And when they start saying "oh too bad you can't have beer" I crack open a beer. It really bugs me when people try to mind my diet for me.

Nowadays I no longer mention anything to anyone but I do have one lingering person who makes my life miserable any time I see her just because I was dumb enough to mention my diet over a year ago. So never mention your diet to anybody and your life will be so much easier.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast