Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say to people who say, "Oh, it's like Atkins"? page 2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I just looked it up on their website, and they are promoting their Atkins products. I don't know how those can be real foods.
    Of coarse the website is promoting the products. That is not what Dr. Atkins plan intended. Unfortunately it is a consequence. You can follow Atkins without any of those lab made fake foods. Take a look at some of his actual work. It's not perfect but it's 100 times better than a SAD.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The ORIGINAL Atkins was very different from the Atkins of today... no products at all I believe... except artificial sweeteners?
    The branding of the "Atkins Diet" and the ensuing "low carb craze" with all of the products kind of ruined it.

That is the disjunction between the Atkins theory and Atkins in current practice (for the most part).

I prefer the PB/Paleo for the much higher emphasis on whole foods rather than products ALWAYS.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Oh yeah, I've been on a paleo rollercoaster for at least 15 years so trust me, I Know the similarities. I've been following this movement since before there was the Primal Blueprint. If it were not for my jaunt with Atkins I might not have discovered paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    OP, I think I would start by saying, "You're sort of on the right track. Both Atkins and Primal advise eating a lower percentage of carbohydrates than the government and most doctors do."

After that, depending on how much more you want to tell them, you could talk about how Primal emphasizes grass fed beef and wholesomely raised animals and animal products as opposed to CAFO. Emphasizes organic as opposed to conventional. Teaches about fatty fish and organ meat. Advises against grains and legumes, etc. How Primal emphasizes the need for healthy fats. Then if you really want to get into it, talk about lifting, moving, sleeping, sunlight, and play.

Simplistically: We need healthy fats for our brains and for energy. We need protein for muscle. Veggies can supply a few nutrients we won't get from meat and fish. Some women need a bit more carbs and a little less fat to feel good. And for people who don't want to live a life without pizza (for eg.) - there's 80/20.

It's tough for people to understand sometimes. I had a neighbor who had made way too many mashed potatoes and wasn't sure if I "could" eat them when he brought some over to me. Sure, they grow out of the ground. But they were made with cream and butter (he's still seeing it as a diet). My tribe loves cream and butter - the potato is just a delivery system. I think I may have traumatized him for life.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    OP, I think I would start by saying, "You're sort of on the right track. Both Atkins and Primal advise eating a lower percentage of carbohydrates than the government and most doctors do."

After that, depending on how much more you want to tell them, you could talk about how Primal emphasizes grass fed beef and wholesomely raised animals and animal products as opposed to CAFO. Emphasizes organic as opposed to conventional. Teaches about fatty fish and organ meat. Advises against grains and legumes, etc. How Primal emphasizes the need for healthy fats. Then if you really want to get into it, talk about lifting, moving, sleeping, sunlight, and play.

Simplistically: We need healthy fats for our brains and for energy. We need protein for muscle. Veggies can supply a few nutrients we won't get from meat and fish. Some women need a bit more carbs and a little less fat to feel good. And for people who don't want to live a life without pizza (for eg.) - there's 80/20.

It's tough for people to understand sometimes. I had a neighbor who had made way too many mashed potatoes and wasn't sure if I "could" eat them when he brought some over to me. Sure, they grow out of the ground. But they were made with cream and butter (he's still seeing it as a diet). My tribe loves cream and butter - the potato is just a delivery system. I think I may have traumatized him for life.
    I understand the short comings of "Atkins". I'm just tired of it being so demonized. The man was a pioneer and we all owe him at least a little gratitude. I would just ask that people not make comments on things they know nothing about.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I am only going on what other people who have tried atkins have told me.
    But I see now that there is the original, and then a more modern version with garbage. I only know people who have tried it with the garbage.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    I understand the short comings of "Atkins". I'm just tired of it being so demonized. The man was a pioneer and we all owe him at least a little gratitude.
    I absolutely agree. The man was vilified because he didn't push the high plant/low meat model. I haven't read it in a long time, but back in the day, 20 gms of carbs (induction for 30 days) isn't so different from trying to attain ketosis (some differences in the protein/fat ratios).

As a note, Atkins first started being read by mainstream before there were as many processed foods and CAFOs. I read recently that CAFO chicken started in the 1950s, but beef and pork didn't really get going 'til the 1970s. So, he didn't really have to address too much of the BigFood and Agra concerns.

Atkins the man is a whole different thing from the current Atkins the business.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    I'm tired of the misconceptions of Atkins around here. Atkins like PB is supposed to be a lifestyle change and honestly they are not that dis-simular. I did Atkins years ago with great success. I lost about 80lbs and kept it off for about a year. The only reason it failed is me. The program did not fail. Atkins recommends whole foods(not Whole Foods the store)and requires that you add at least some kind of exercise to your life. Atkins is not the bullshit products at the supermarket. Once you reach your goal weight you are supposed to match the amount of carbs you eat to your lifestyle and activity level to maintain that weight. Sounds kinda familiar to me. Read the book before you say something based on speculation and hear/say.
    Robert promoted the consumption of CAFO meat and artificial sweetneners in his books throughout the 80's and 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Robert promoted the consumption of CAFO meat and artificial sweetneners in his books throughout the 80's and 90's.
    Dr. Atkins promoted the consumption of meat. Sadly the the source was not emphasized. Thankfully we now know better. Why is it so hard for people to see the good in something and so easily point out the bad. If not for Atkins work this website might not even exist. He didn't quite get it but he was going in the right direction.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast