Thread: Prothrombin Mutation Anyone? page

StickyBuns is offline Junior Member

Prothrombin Mutation Anyone?

Shop Now
    Hi All - I just learned today that I have something called a prothrombin mutation. My OB tested me for it because I had preeclampsia in my first pregnancy. It is something that means I am more likely to get blood clots than most people (5x more likely), and it can be triggered by various things, including pregnancy. I've been researching it, and it looks pretty serious! And they are saying it caused my complications before, and I will have to do these anticoagulant shots while pregnant if we try again, which I'm not a fan of. I can't imagine taking medicine like that if I'm pregnant!

It's super rare, but I thought I would just throw it out to the group. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or blood clots in general? and does eating primal help with it? I read something that said high insulin levels can do something (sorry, it was very science heavy) that increases the risk of blood clots, so that seems like primal is perfect for dealing with it....

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    My husband's sister has this. She had a stroke during her 2nd pregnancy, which is how she was eventually diagnosed. She is on Coumadin for the rest of her life. During her pregnancy, she had to take an anti-coagulant by injection. She's never said anything about the effect of diet, but I doubt she's looked into anything other than what her Dr. has recommended. I would be interested in anything you find out.

She is reluctant to have her daughters tested, because it would be considered a pre-existing condition. My husband and kids should probably also be tested, but, again, the whole pre-existing condition thing. But none of the girls will ever use birth control pills unless they find out they don't have the mutation.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

StickyBuns is offline Junior Member
    Wow, a stroke! that's scarey, but I can believe it. My blood pressure went through the roof when I had my daughter.

How did her pregnancy turn out? Was she able to carry full term with the use of the shots?

I'll let you know if I find anythng substantial regarding the diet. Overall, I'm sure it has to help reduce some risk factors in a general health kind of way. Thanks for sharing!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes, she carried full term. Her baby was fine. Her older daughter was pretty traumatized by mom being in and out of the hospital and on bed rest, but even she seems to developed into a completely normal teenager.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related