Thread: New to Primal & Feeling Guilty page

Wineaux is offline Junior Member

New to Primal & Feeling Guilty

Primal Fuel
    Hi, everyone! I'm finally taking the leap and am very excited about it! However, I'm also a feeling guily about trying to get healthy. My husband and I have always done new food things together until about 2 1/2 years ago when he was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I had heard of Crohn's prior to his diagnosis but didn't know the details until he got hit. "Normal" Crohn's patients go into remission and ususally have to deal with the painful and embarrassing bouts 2 - 4 times a year. There has not been one day of remission for him in 2 1/2 years. Most of his food requirements are totally opposite of primal with the exception of protein. His vegetable and fruit selection is very limited, and rice, potatoes, other starches are encouraged. On top of that, he is deathly allergic to coconut, has been his whole life. I've personally experienced his accidental ingestion of coconut from eating a "nutrition" bar, and it scared me to death! His throat started closing, and he started vomiting. After that incident, he always reads lables and asked about dish ingredients in restaurants.

So, making the decision to cook things using coconut oil and coconut flour knowing he can't eat them makes me feel very selfish, but he understands my desire to be as healthy as I can be so I can take care of him. I am really enjoying trying the new recipes, and some of them I can share with my husband. Question - What is the best substitute for coconut oil and flour I can use so he can share and enjoy more dishes with me?

A little about me: I'm 53, married (you probably figured that out already), have two grown sons and two beautiful grandbabies (6 & 3), and two grown stepchildren. I'm 5'6", 149 lbs (this morning), down from 155 when I stopped eating crap food two weeks ago. Yeah, I know what I've lost is all water and the extra weight I gained from Thanksgiving to Christmas, but it's a start. I work in IT and spend most of my days on my butt. That is changing immediately!!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    You can use butter, we love Kerrygold grassfed. You can get three pounds at Costco for less than $7. Almond meal or other gluten free flours are good. I quit baking, so I just need oil for eggs etc. Local Olive oils are good too.

Good luck!
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    butter, ghee, olive oil for lower heat sauteing, bacon fat, lard (the real stuff, not hydrogenated)

nut meals, rice flour? i dunno on that one
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

cantat is offline Senior Member
    Yes, easy solution - no coconut oil, no coconut flour. If you were using coconut flour to make Primal substitutes, and you're just starting out, my suggestion is to avoid trying to create substitutes and eat as whole foods as possible. Besides, cooking things in bacon grease or ghee is amaaaazing.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Hey don't feel guilty, but do make choices and cook together. Just because you both wont partake doesn't mean you have to do things separately.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    My personal opinion is that transitioning to primal/Paleo is easier it you avoid using flours until the diet becomes routine.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    My personal opinion is that transitioning to primal/Paleo is easier it you avoid using flours until the diet becomes routine.
    I agree completely. It wasn't until I was about 2-3 months in that I began looking for primal substitutes for SAD foods. It made it much easier to commit to a Paleo diet. Also for some reason I feel like I've heard that the a primal diet was actually favorable for Crohn's disease but I could be wrong.
    22 year old male in Pittsburgh. Primal since 9/12.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I'd heard that too, AntonioCal.

Wineaux, you might want to look into alternative therapies for Crohn's because "high-fiber and whole grains" are pushed for, you know, everything. It probably will take your husband time to heal to be able to handle harsher veggies (I'm guessing high-fiber ones are currently off his list) but I bet there is a LOT of overlap between a Crohn's-friendly diet that isn't pushing grains and the PB. Someone else around here could probably tell you for sure, but I think WAPF and GAPS diets might address that disease.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Look into GAPS or SCD for Chron's treatment. One doctor I know has a 70% success rate.