Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: straight dope: how bad is gluten, really?

Threaded View

straight dope: how bad is gluten, really?

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this topic with my perspective in mind. I'm a healthy 27 year old male with no history of major health problems. I've been pretty active my whole life and never overweight, possibly too skinny at points do to participation in weight class sports in college, though never emanciaded. I've been lifting since I was 15 so i've always had decent strength.

I got a full blood panel done and everything was normal with the exception of my thyroid hormone being borderline high, possibly indicating an under active thyroid. I read Chris Kesser's hypothyroid series in which he advocates ditching any gluten entirely. One symptom I've dealt with which lines up with this is dry flaky skin, thought that might be an unfortunate permanent side effect of taking Accutane ten years ago. For all i know it could just be an outlier result and I don't actually have a problem. Maybe i just need to switch soap.

I'm eating seaweed and brazil nuts regularly now to ensure adequate iodine/selenium, and if ditching occasional gluten means avoiding possible medication in the future I'll suck it up and do it. But, to be perfectly honest, I'm a big fan of the 80/20 rule, and I do enjoy a cold beer, some mac n cheese, and a burger with a sourdough bun from time to time. Especially on a workout day. I always figured it was fine since I've never had any adverse effects (that I've noticed) from eating occasional gluten stuff.

I'm getting tested again in six months and i told my doc i want to try and get in normal range without meds if I can, which she was supportive of. She said the nuts/seaweed is a good idea, and that i should not eat soy (no rancid soybean oil mayo? Yea no problem), and that gluten elimination can possibly help or more likely make no difference.

Anyone in a similar boat as me had experience with this issue? I could try and give it up totally for 1 month before my test, but I'd have no way to control for whether or not that actually made the difference.
    Last edited by primal pete; 01-29-2013 at 06:05 PM.