Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: straight dope: how bad is gluten, really? page 2

Stephanie is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had a pretty bad case of hashimitos.

I ditched gluten and did some other remedies (homeopathy, herbs, etc) and cured it. I never had to take hormones...

Gluten is bad for me, but the rest of my family is totally fine with it.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I eat gluten-containing items a couple times a month in social situations, and the only thing I notice when I do is that my nose gets stuffy for a few hours. I experience no other adverse effects (though I'm sure my gut begs to differ on a microscopic level). So, I don't think it's a huge deal for me, but I don't eat it 99% of the time simply because most primal food exclude grains.

Honestly, for me, it's less about avoiding gluten than it is about avoiding the carbs from bread/pasta/baked stuff. I prefer to get my carbs from sweet potatoes, veggies, and fruit. At this point, after four years of primal eating, wheat is just not a part of my usual diet. But a little bit of gluten here and there is no biggie for me. I know gluten does terrible things to some people, but I'm not one of them.

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    If you haven't already a great book to read is Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It gives a lot of reasons why to drop the frankenwheat that permeates our food source.

Amazon.com: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (3520700000720): William Davis: Books
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I had a pretty bad case of hashimitos.

I ditched gluten and did some other remedies (homeopathy, herbs, etc) and cured it. I never had to take hormones...

Gluten is bad for me, but the rest of my family is totally fine with it.
    Did you get diagnosed by a Doc? Chris Kesser's hypothyroid articles touch on this being a very under diagnosed problem, but I'm wary of claiming that I have an actual immune system problem until i get more tests done.

Thanks everyone from bringing up good points. I don't think I actually have social pressure to eat gluten stuff, maybe I'm just too lazy to cut it out or find alternatives. Maybe I should just suck it up and go for a month and reassess. At least gluten free beer actually exists.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The straight dope?

Gluten is a lot worse than it is made out to be in terms of the general population.

Gluten is not nearly as bad as it's made out to be in Primal/Paleo circles.

Gluten is a potent irritant. It is made to hurt your gut. Even if you are not gluten intolerant - and you probably aren't, at least to a moderately severe degree - it will still take its toll on you when it is a regular part of your diet. However, it is not an evil monster that will kill your pets, beat your children and sleep with your wife. If you are out somewhere and it's worth it to you, I say go for it. The fact that you're posing this question means you clearly are not super intolerant and it won't come back to haunt you once in a blue moon.

What do I consider "rare"? Probably no more than 1-2 gluten heavy meals a month. I don't mean a beer - there's hardly any gluten in beer, and what's there is fermented. I mean a bowl of pasta, a 10" cheesesteak, 4 slices of a large pizza...you know, a typical American wheat-heavy lunch. That being said, I haven't had a slice of pizza in 2 years, a bowl of wheat pasta in about a year and a cheesesteak since Fat Tuesday 2012 (and it was awful, I only ate it because I was on the road with my boss and he bought it for me, what was I supposed to do?). But that's because I truly don't crave bread products, so they're almost never worth it to me.

Choose your battles wisely.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by JoreyTK View Post
    If you haven't already a great book to read is Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It gives a lot of reasons why to drop the frankenwheat that permeates our food source.

Amazon.com: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (3520700000720): William Davis: Books
    It's important to note that the typical American eats wheat with virtually every meal - 3 times a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year - and it typically takes 40-50 years for the effects to start catching up to them. What would happen if you had it for one meal a week? Or two meals a month? Would you even notice? Or - and here's the big question - in such a tiny quantity to a non-celiac, could it actually have a medicinal effect by introducing a mild toxin into the body, which would then be hormesis? I wonder if at any point gluten could actually be a beneficial stressor - in small quantities below toxicity, could it actually make you stronger and more resilient to harm?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'll have wheat on rare occasion and I don't know if it hurts me or if it is psychological and I think it hurts me, but I am really fine. But yeah, I've gone from eating it 3 times a day to eating it maybe 4-5 times in a year.

I have a feeling that for most people, it's like sugar. No big deal when it is .05% of your diet, big problem when it is 50%.

However, for me it used to have an addictive quality to it. IE, could not stop eating wheat products. I've never binged on any food like I have on things with wheat plus sugar in them. I would eat it until sick. I would never make it a main part of my diet again, simply because I eat too much of it, it takes up too high a % of calories and I can't get all the nutrients I need without way overeating.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I think we need to consider a couple things. This here really jumps out at me.... your a 27 year old MALE with labs that put you on borderline hypothyroid. Your younger and of the opposite sex of the group of the population this normally afflicts. There is something significant going on.

Thats really enough for me to say that gluten is potentially a huge issue. Most people with hypothyroid also suffer leaky gut. Once you have leaky gut it doesn't matter if your gluten tolerant or not. The damage is done and the secondary inflammation and autoimmune issues with eating wheat based products ensue.

Thats my take on the OP's situation in particular, rather than gluten at large.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-30-2013 at 03:17 PM.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think we need to consider a couple things. This here really jumps out at me.... your a 27 year old MALE with labs that put you on borderline hypothyroid. Your younger and of the opposite sex of the group of the population this normally afflicts. There is something significant going on.

Thats really enough for me to say that gluten is potentially a huge issue. Most people with hypothyroid also suffer leaky gut. Once you have leaky gut it doesn't matter if your gluten tolerant or not. The damage is done and the secondary inflammation and autoimmune issues with eating wheat based products ensue.

That's my take on the OP's situation in particular, rather than gluten at large.
    Well, my lab put me in the upper part of the "normal range", so it could indicate an issue exists, or it could just be statistical variance. I wont really know until I get a 2nd test. Maybe the small dietary changes will be enough to fix the (potential) problem. Maybe total gluten elimination is what it will take. Maybe it has nothing to do with my diet and I'll need meds, which sucks, but oh well. I doubt that because I don't have any obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Choco's approach sounds good, as usual... I think my MO will be to allow it once in a while if it's worth it, then abstain completely for a month before my 2nd test and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    Choco's approach sounds good, as usual... I think my MO will be to allow it once in a while if it's worth it, then abstain completely for a month before my 2nd test and see what happens.
    I don't want to sound like I'm advocating occasional wheat consumption, though. I'm just advocating not beating yourself up over one off meal. However, be careful not to fall down the slippery slope where your "one off meal" a month becomes "one off meal" a week.

I believe the ideal wheat consumption is exactly zero. However, we don't live in an ideal world. If you want to enjoy a beer during the Superbowl, don't go beating yourself up over 75ppm of gluten. If you take a vacation to Italy, don't miss out on the local food because you're scared a single bowl of pasta will kill you. That doesn't mean you go out and eat a bowl of pasta once a month just because it may be harmless. IMO, you want to get to the point where you don't want it. I don't eat pasta because I have no desire to eat pasta - meat, eggs, dairy and nuts taste so much better and are so much better for you. I'm at the point where my thought process is: "There's no point in eating pasta, not only is it bad for me but it doesn't taste as good...why eat bad food that tastes bad?"

If you can get to that point, you win.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast