Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting and Primal page

Piebald Buck is offline Junior Member

Hunting and Primal

Shop Now
    My interest in hunting is one of the things that led me to start PB. I was wondering if there are any other hunters out there? It would seem like a good fit. As a hunter I know that the animals I eat lived a healthy natural life.

I butcher my kills myself so I know how much meat comes from one animal and I know that some of the things people told me to grind for burgers are the tastiest bits (can you say venison ribs?). I also know that many parts are useful and great tasting; bones for soup and organ meats that most throw away.

Any other PB hunters out there?

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    I'm a hunter but it seems strangely rare around here.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    My brother is a hunter. I keep asking him to let me tag along to learn, but he always sneaks away without me. It's definitely something I want to do though. It's a good skill to have, and from what he tells me it's the cheapest way to get meat and you obviously can't beat the quality.
    Hunting is something our species has always done, and it honestly feels kinda foreign to be so distanced from the process of hunting and butchering.

Piebald Buck is offline Junior Member
    Kata,

I came to hunting late in life and have only been at it for a couple of years but I love it. My advice would be to buy a gun and start practicing. You can pick up a used one if you look around. There should be some cheap ones now that deer season is done, people will be trading in for a new one.

Practice, practice, practice. When you can hit the bullseye 3 times in a row at 100 yards, show your brother the target and ask him when you can go. In this way he'll know your prepared.

It's a lot of work but there is nothing like the feeling of eating an animal that you hunted and butchered yourself. My wife thinks, I am a little bit nuts but I swear that every time I eat a piece of wild game that I procured, it takes me back to the hunt.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i hunt too. love it. i do lots of gathering as well. shell fish, netting fish, spearing fish as well. but yeah, nothing like food you cant buy in the shops. not to mention the process of getting it. and truly, i really dont care if we dont get anything as the places we go to look are so awesome.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    im not, but I would love to. One day

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Yes! Hunting is something special. It can give you a unique time to learn and respect the animal giving its life for you... it can be a unique time to learn from and respect anyone you go with. My dad took me hunting often for dove when I was a kid, and always took it as an opportunity to teach about nature, science, gun safety, solitude. His idea was that there was never a bad day hunting, because if you didn't get anything at all, you still spent an entire day with nature.
    Little Saiyan

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piebald Buck View Post
    Kata,

I came to hunting late in life and have only been at it for a couple of years but I love it. My advice would be to buy a gun and start practicing. You can pick up a used one if you look around. There should be some cheap ones now that deer season is done, people will be trading in for a new one.

Practice, practice, practice. When you can hit the bullseye 3 times in a row at 100 yards, show your brother the target and ask him when you can go. In this way he'll know your prepared.

It's a lot of work but there is nothing like the feeling of eating an animal that you hunted and butchered yourself. My wife thinks, I am a little bit nuts but I swear that every time I eat a piece of wild game that I procured, it takes me back to the hunt.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll start looking for a used gun. Any suggestions on which kind for a beginner?
    I'm a pretty good shot, and I enjoy shooting, so practice won't be a problem. My biggest hurdle, I think, will be when the moment comes for me to actually take a shot at an animal. I have a spiritual connection with deer, and I think it's going to be hard for me to kill one. But, the way I see it, if I can't bring myself to kill it, I shouldn't eat it. And I love venison, so I better damn well do it!

FiveX is offline Member
    Howdy Piebald Buck! Lotta hunters out here in Oregon! I have enjoyed hunting for many years, and some of those years I have been quite successful. Hunting became better for me when I started taking my son. He was 13 when he killed his first buck. Some folks and hunting magazines say "harvested" a deer. Deer are not a crop! I believe that terminology is disrespectful to the animals we kill for food.

I have always thanked the critters that I have killed, and after watching "The last of the Mochicans," I say a prayer to their wild spirit...anyways after my son went into the Marines his older sister starting going hunting with me. it was entertaining taking my daughter lol. The first thing she told me was "Dad you have to get me a hunting outfit!." I laughed for half a day. During the 5 years my son was in the Marines we killed 3 deer and two elk! She even helped me skin and butcher them!!, after she put on latex gloves to protect her manicured nails.

The Primal way is new for me too Piebald Buck, but I've adapted to it quickly...though I do find myself staring at beer bottles full of delicious all natural microbrews!! But I only look and walking away gets a little easier each time. I still have an occasional glass of good red wine though! A day out in the woods even if you come up empty is a beautiful day! Good luck hunting! And if you kill a critter say a little prayer over his wild spirit, Peace...5x

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Best meat out there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast