Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting and Primal page 3

Khaleesi is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hub and I hunt as well. Our carnivore raw fed cats don't mind it a bit either.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Learning to. Working on my compound bow skills, also hoping to go after some small game soon.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Love to hunt! Deer, pheasant and grouse mainly. I mostly make jerky with the venison, since it is not a very fatty meat. With the rabbit population where I live, I could live off that alone if I wanted - but haven't been daring enough to try it yet. I fish better then I hunt (still need work on my shot). Plenty of rivers and lakes nearby and the fishing is always good. Nothing better then catching your own food!

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    Marry me! Just kidding I'm already married.
    Got a brother ?
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    I like to go squirrel hunting by myself. Nothing beats sitting in the woods in the middle of a deserted wildlife management area. It's so peaceful.

pogo0685 is offline Junior Member
    I come from a hunting family, my DH has never gone but if everything works out this year I am going to make him go. My Dad and Brother go every year but I think they just go to get away from my mom, and hubbys best friend goes every year but he goes out of state. The only fear I have is if he doesn't get a deer or elk, we will be out about $1,000 between lost wages and the cost of going.... That could buy us half a cow, so unless he gets something it will be so not worth it. And me myself I could never pull the trigger, I can skin and butcher but no killing for me.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aix_sponsa View Post
    I like to go squirrel hunting by myself. Nothing beats sitting in the woods in the middle of a deserted wildlife management area. It's so peaceful.
    i used to go squirrel hunting with my dad when i was a kid . haven't done that in years. however, there is talk that nj will allow air rifles to be used for rabbits and squirrels next year. looks like i'm going to have to buy myself a new toy and start plinking some squirrels
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    I have never gone hunting. Growing up in SoCal it wasn't something anyone admitted doing. Most people never talked about hunting at all, except in a negative way. I have this perception of hunting as a fairly insular activity and I didn't grow up with it, don't know the "unwritten rules", and don't know how to go from outsider to insider.

I want to start, and I have even taken a few steps in that direction...when I moved to Texas I bought a "lifetime" hunting/fishing license. I've taken a hunter safety course. I have a gun...heck, I even have a (compound) bow...and I know how to use them. I just haven't managed to translate all of that into actually hunting.

I would suggest joining a club and finding a mentor. There's a whole more to it than one would think.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I believe you on the "more to it" ... there is a whole bunch about hunting that seems to be unwritten and local. The funny part is that a lot of the "hunting their whole lives" crowd doesn't seem to know how knowledgeable they really are. They've known about hunting since childhood so they don't really appreciate the knowledge.

Hunting clubs and mentors are yet more mystery to me.
    Last edited by Him; 01-31-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast