Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods to fight depression? page

shema is offline Senior Member

Foods to fight depression?

Primal Fuel
    I recently had a baby and have been taken aback to find myself feeling depressed. I did not experience this with my first child. I suspect a reason for this may be that I’m more sleep deprived this time around than I was the last time.

What are foods/supplements I can take to naturally address feeling sad/depressed?

In the past few days I’ve done the following and it’s really helped (but I want more suggestions):

-Completely out all sugar ( I was dabbling in it earlier. I think the sleep deprivation had me craving sweets).
    -Eating more salmon
    -Eating more coconut butter and avocados
    -Exercising more
    -Drinking 1/2 cup of black coffee when I feel really bad. It REALLY elevates my mood.

What else can I do?

(Edit based on replies below: Yes, I am eating eggs and chicken liver already).
    Last edited by shema; 01-29-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Liver and bone broth can help make sure you have the micronutrient bases covered.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    If you can tolerate starch I find white rice and white potatoes great Also eggs are reputed to be a "good mood food" but I have heard reports from some people that too many make them depressed.

You're gonna have to experiment I guess!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Thanks! Yes, I am eating chicken liver and also eggs are totally a staple in my diet!

I will try to find more time to make bone broth for myself!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Tryptophan. It's an amino acid that's the precursor to serotonin. You can either buy it as a supplement or try to eat naturally tryptophan-rich foods, like turkey.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    ^Agreed with the above, but also just ensuring that you are getting enough protein may be enough.

If you are having a pick-me-up effect from coffee that's not just energy related, I'd wager that your serotonin levels are low.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Tryptophan. It's an amino acid that's the precursor to serotonin. You can either buy it as a supplement or try to eat naturally tryptophan-rich foods, like turkey.
    Yes! I am also drinking goat milk kefir! I read goat milk has lots of tryptophan!

How do I increase serotonin?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    If you're already doing these things and you're still feeling depressed then maybe you need to try something new too?

What's your diet like atm?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I'm feeling better now but wanted additional suggestions. For example last week I was eating ice cream, had some chocolate here and there, etc. I was making smoothies w coconut milk and berries but decided to stop that for the moment. I've cut out all the sugary stuff. Here's what I had today:

Breakfast: Omelet w. shitake mushrooms
    Snack: Coconut butter and cashews
    Lunch: Salmon w. guacamole
    Snack: Goat milk kefir
    Dinner: Okra w. oxtail stew

I also put the baby in a stroller and walked a lot.

I feel a lot better today but just want to make sure I can maintain feeling better!

I am also taking Vitamin D supplements since I live in the northeast and it's dark and cold...

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Niacin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast