Thread: Is a $100 Sun-Lamp worth it for Seasonal Affective Disorder? page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Is a $100 Sun-Lamp worth it for Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you used a sun-lamp? Did it work for you? I am a completely different person in the summer, I actually smile (and not in a patronizing way). I was thinking of ordering one for my desk at the office (even though I am in the corner window, my cube wall partially shades me).

Maybe I'll just save the money and watch more Portlandia.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    lots of us are feeling it now in January, right!? Ugh... I went and tanned yesterday and it felt FABULOUS and I'm still glowing with the after-effects of it all... I highly recommend even if it seems crazy and "dangerous".
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    lots of us are feeling it now in January, right!? Ugh... I went and tanned yesterday and it felt FABULOUS and I'm still glowing with the after-effects of it all... I highly recommend even if it seems crazy and "dangerous".
    It does seem crazy and dangerous! LOL! I tried to go tanning once and felt like I was in a spaceship and freaked out. I emerged with some new freckles

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I supplement Vitamin D in liquid form and it takes care of my SAD, but I'm deficient in D all year 'round.

I wouldn't want to use a lamp at work, and that's where I spend most of my day, so it works for me.

My fiancÚ's brother uses a sun lamp (don't know the model) and he says it works very well for him. He only uses it for about 20 min in the morning. You just have to face it, don't have to look into the light or anything.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I have a compact Verilux lamp on my desk at work. It doesn't really make me happy per se, but it makes me feel more alert.

I personally really want to try the tanning thing now!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The lamp couldn't hurt. I recently upped my D intake also. Although here in the south, now is when we can go outside. Come July/August, and some of us lock up in an air conditioned room.

Amazon has a bunch for less than $100.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 01-29-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    I was actully looking into this a while ago for my hubby as he has more problems with SAD than I do.
    Anyways all the reviews seemed to indicate that it helps the majority of people but there is the odd one here & there that dident notice any benifits.
    Another one Im thinking of is the sunrise alarm clock/light.. I have a heck of a time waking up in the morning when its still dark out
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

janie is offline Senior Member
    I love my sunrise alarm clock! It is a much more peaceful way to wake up. A noisy buzzing or clanging alarm always had me start the day in an adrenalin panic.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Everybody's insurance/FSA/whatever is different, but maybe you can get coverage for it?

I never get winter blues but as heck have issues in the summer. I wish someone made an anti-humidity, anti-everyone else stinks lamp.