View Poll Results: Have you truly binged?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, Halloween-night-style, barfing in my throat, can't take another bite, I have!

26 63.41%
  • Yes, I ate more than 1/3 of a jellybean at once. It was SO embarrassing.

1 2.44%
  • No, I grew up eating real food (or have learned now) and know when to stop eating.

6 14.63%
  • No, I drink six Mountain Dews and eat eight boxes of macaroni every day and I'm STILL hungry!

1 2.44%
  • Pinkie pie is, or is not, my favorite pony.

4 9.76%
  • I'm all grown-uppy and am going to ramble on about how a binge differs person to person.

5 12.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you binged? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Have you binged?

Primal Fuel
    I mean, have you actually binged? I don't mean, "Oh, my! I finished this whole box of wheat thins to myself!" binged, I mean, "As of now I'm cold, shaking and dizzy because instead of stopping when I was full (eating real food, etc.) I've consumed over a pound of candy and honestly think I might go into a coma." binge. I keep seeing these people talking about a binge, and then they go on to describe a typical lunch or snack. Who are these people in real life? Do they weight 25 pounds and normally eat photons?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    What is this, a competition on who can eat more?

I think a binge is characterised by the feelings (distress, desperation, anger etc) that fuel the consumption. A binge for an anorexic could be 3 apricots.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Binging is different for everyone, and shouldn't be classified by the physical act as much as it should be classified by the emotional/psychological response to ones relationship with food.

But if you start calling a normal dinner or snack a "binge" then you're going to starve to death. It's always better to eat more than it is to eat less.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    But if you start calling a normal dinner or snack a "binge" then you're going to starve to death. It's always better to eat more than it is to eat less.
    Eureka! He's found the cure to all EDs

Seriously dude.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Just giving a moon to your sun. I know first-hand how entangling eating disorders can feel, I was likely pre-diabetic for a while there having to eat every few hours and always craving soda after soda. So I've been physically dependent on food, more than just for nutrition, and know it's horrible to have to think about it. I also remember my ritalin years where I ate nothing but cereal in the AM for four years straight and food was more of a threat than a treat.

But a human body under-fed and undernourished will fall apart much faster than a body overfed and +/-adequately nourished. As a skeleton I remember being insanely weak, my teeth were rotting out and I didn't grow for those four years. I weighed 82 pounds from the age of ten to the age of 14! I was just a ribcage with sticks tacked on when a neighbor intervened and snapped my parents out of their delusions. And I gained 100 pounds in one year. I sure as hell didn't do that by thinking I was binging. I ate to grow, to survive and to put meat on my bones. And to this day, even though I'm made mostly of lean muscle, it still pays to overeat more than it ever did to undereat. Perhaps bingers should be made proud of their ability and eat as much real food as they can possibly tolerate, like I do? That's how I lost weight and restored my health, having a daily binge of real, Primal food and being proud of it.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I can eat over a pound of dried fruit in one sitting which is why I never allow myself to eat it anymore. That much fructose just CAN'T be good for our livers, "but it's a primal food" be damned!

And yes, I have done this on multiple occasions in the past which is why I eat so carefully now.

Yeah, box of dates sitting right - oh, it's empty.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Thanks for sharing that Knife. And look, I hear what you're saying but I don't agree with your assessment because binging is not about the food. It's about the act and the escape from reality that it provides. It affords people a distraction from their inner turmoil by allowing them to focus on something physical. It's an addiction.

An alcoholic is not an alcoholic because of the quantities that he drinks.

- Ray Peat

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I remember this one night, we had spaghetti for supper... I was laid out on the couch because my body couldn't bend afterwards. I was so utterly stuffed and miserable and just waiting for it to disperse a bit. I guess that would be called a binge. I used to never feel any more satisfied after a meal than before. Very miserable. But I didn't eat to "escape" or whatever. I ate because I was freaking hungry and liked food a lot. Only time I'd eat that wasn't just hunger was if I was anxious.

Much better now although I could still eat a rediculous amount of food- I'm just not driven to.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 01-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast