View Poll Results: Have you truly binged?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, Halloween-night-style, barfing in my throat, can't take another bite, I have!

26 63.41%
  • Yes, I ate more than 1/3 of a jellybean at once. It was SO embarrassing.

1 2.44%
  • No, I grew up eating real food (or have learned now) and know when to stop eating.

6 14.63%
  • No, I drink six Mountain Dews and eat eight boxes of macaroni every day and I'm STILL hungry!

1 2.44%
  • Pinkie pie is, or is not, my favorite pony.

4 9.76%
  • I'm all grown-uppy and am going to ramble on about how a binge differs person to person.

5 12.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you binged? page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, box of dates sitting right - oh, it's empty.
    Yep, sounds like me. That's why I keep the dried fruit out of my house.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I was a kid, my dad encouraged us kids to eat all our Halloween candy as quickly as possible. I was usually finished in two days.

Eating to the point of total discomfort was very commonplace for much of my life. Happened usually on special occasions and sometimes by accident. Once we (as kids) binged on watermelon on a camping trip. I think that's the worst amount of full I have ever felt, plus you have to pee constantly for a really long time. It was tempting to force vomiting just so I could get out of the restroom, but I didn't.

Growing up we often made homemade cookies and usually we could eat them all in about 2 days. My mom used to make homemade cookies for Christmas, about a million different kinds and my sister and I would usually have them all eaten before we had to go back to school.

I still sometimes accidentally eat way too much. I don't know if that's truly binging though if it's an accident. Sometimes when I go out to eat I plan to eat as much as I possibly can, especially if we're going out for steak or sushi. It's like no way am I gonna skimp, I'm getting the biggest and best item on the menu and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.

While hiking the Pacific Crest, binging became a duty to binge, a grave responsibility. Otherwise, how can you get enough to eat? I did my best but I only did the whole pint of ben and jerry's a couple of times. The biggest binge I did was at the Timberline Lodge where I filled up 7 plates of food (belgian waffles, eggs, potatoes, sausage, granola, fruit salad) and a few cartons of yogurt and some pastries plus 5 cups of coffee and then went out for a pint of ice cream a couple hours later because I was still hungry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    X-wrestler....so yeah. Use to make myself sick stuffing my face after every weigh in. Still do at buffets from time to time

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Hey, I'd also like to point out that my little sister was a knobby-kneed skinny kid and I've never been morbidly obese.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    X-wrestler....so yeah. Use to make myself sick stuffing my face after every weigh in. Still do at buffets from time to time
    You're an ex wrestler??? I used to love WWF as a kid... I even went to see it live!

Anyhoo, I would call that overeating... not binging
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I remember this one night, we had spaghetti for supper... I was laid out on th cucurbits because my body could bend afterwards. I was so utterly stuffed and miserable. I guess that would be called a binge. I used to never feel any more satisfied after a meal than before. Very miserable.
    Same here, my family were regular spaghetti-makers. Just like you, I'd stuff myself and still be craving (presumably protein and micronutrients).

Thanks for sharing that Knife. And look, I hear what you're saying but I don't agree with your assessment because binging is not about the food. It's about the act and the escape from reality that it provides. It affords people a distraction from their inner turmoil by allowing them to focus on something physical. It's an addiction.

An alcoholic is not an alcoholic because of the quantities that he drinks.
    I agree with this line of reasoning. However, the alcoholic can quit drinking, while the eater must instead detach emotion from the food, so that the food is simply utilitarian, right? But, whether alcoholic or not, tipsy is tipsy and hammered is hammered. As an alcoholic, free of twelve-step rhetoric and pity-parties to date, I can tell you that if I drank a beer today, I would not be binging or indulging in addiction. Nor would said one beer cancel my eight years of sober living. Because sobriety isn't in the absence of alcohol, it's in pursuing a wholesome life. On that same note, a binger should feel free to consume large amounts of food once the emotional tie is broken. But that's not what I see happening.

Recovery has been exploited into a money-making pseudo-church. Instead of actually healing people, they are roped in and strung along in a sort of pity-disco where they each take a turn dancing and everybody claps along. I got out after one year, because I was recovered. How dare I, right? All better, no longer an alcoholic, not dependent on AA for life? You mean it WORKED?! You should have seen these guys spaz out at the last meeting I went to, when I told them I wasn't coming back anymore. They were like, "No, you'll relapse! You need us!" Bwah-hah-hah. Not. A. Sucker.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    You're an ex wrestler??? I used to love WWF as a kid... I even went to see it live!

Anyhoo, I would call that overeating... not binging
    LOL....

I mean who didn't like WWF back when it was cool... but, I'm talking schoolastic and collegiate type. The rules are a bit different. No hitting in the heads with chairs and such.

When I was a kid, my dad encouraged us kids to eat all our Halloween candy as quickly as possible. I was usually finished in two days.

Eating to the point of total discomfort was very commonplace for much of my life. Happened usually on special occasions and sometimes by accident. Once we (as kids) binged on watermelon on a camping trip. I think that's the worst amount of full I have ever felt, plus you have to pee constantly for a really long time. It was tempting to force vomiting just so I could get out of the restroom, but I didn't.

Growing up we often made homemade cookies and usually we could eat them all in about 2 days. My mom used to make homemade cookies for Christmas, about a million different kinds and my sister and I would usually have them all eaten before we had to go back to school.

I still sometimes accidentally eat way too much. I don't know if that's truly binging though if it's an accident. Sometimes when I go out to eat I plan to eat as much as I possibly can, especially if we're going out for steak or sushi. It's like no way am I gonna skimp, I'm getting the biggest and best item on the menu and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.

While hiking the Pacific Crest, binging became a duty to binge, a grave responsibility. Otherwise, how can you get enough to eat? I did my best but I only did the whole pint of ben and jerry's a couple of times. The biggest binge I did was at the Timberline Lodge where I filled up 7 plates of food (belgian waffles, eggs, potatoes, sausage, granola, fruit salad) and a few cartons of yogurt and some pastries plus 5 cups of coffee and then went out for a pint of ice cream a couple hours later because I was still hungry.
    There's an eater! Good stuff. I get the feeling we'd get along nicely.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Recovery has been exploited into a money-making pseudo-church. Instead of actually healing people, they are roped in and strung along in a sort of pity-disco where they each take a turn dancing and everybody claps along. I got out after one year, because I was recovered. How dare I, right? All better, no longer an alcoholic, not dependent on AA for life? You mean it WORKED?! You should have seen these guys spaz out at the last meeting I went to, when I told them I wasn't coming back anymore. They were like, "No, you'll relapse! You need us!" Bwah-hah-hah. Not. A. Sucker.
    Yeah, I think the AA model is flawed. The "once an addict, always an addict" thing simply isn't true. People actually do get over it. Some people do, anyway. A lot of the AA-types never actually get over their addiction; they've just substituted AA meetings for whatever substance they were ingesting before.

I guess that's one of strengths of being on the autism spectrum. I'm good at erasing myself and starting over. The absolution in my mind can be activated like a depth charge, everything changes suddenly.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast