Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Original barefoot shoe kind of page 3

Strife is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sodhoppers are pretty good. I know a lot of people who swear by 'em. Catskill Moccasins is also good, if you're in the New York area. Catskill Mocs take a mold of your foot to build the mocs around. I have a pair. They're a tiny bit tighter than I'd prefer in the toes, but otherwise perfect.

Edit: Seems Sodhoppers also take a mold of your foot. Didn't know that before.
    Last edited by Strife; 01-30-2013 at 11:12 AM.

saady is offline Junior Member
    this is interesting. I am wearing barefoot shoes (and leather socks)... this is another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Custom Moccasin Styles, Stealth Trackers, Tracking Moccasins, Bow Hunting, Western, Renaissance, SCA, Earthing,Tactical,Police, Military, Go Green, Earthing, Barefoot Moccasins, SodHoppers I looked into these some years ago when they were called Bald Mountain. They are nice and custom made but boy were their prices expensive. Seems like they were over $1000 for a pair.
    Yeah,Bald Mountain changed their name I believe to Mystic Soles. The ones that were worn in the movie were actually made by Catskill Mountain Moccasins. Of course they both were expensive. That's why I went with Sodhoppers. Plus,they are made the same way.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saady View Post
    this is interesting. I am wearing barefoot shoes (and leather socks)... this is another level.
    Leather socks???
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Those sodhoppers ones are pretty sweet. There are other makers of similar shoes. ShoemakerSharon's Photos or Boots, Nativearth Olde Soles: Handmade boots, shoes, and leather accessories. are two examples. There are several others. You probably have to either apply a goop sole yourself or ask them to do it for some of the other makers since they feature images of thicker soles. Basically any turnshoe can have a goop sole or none at all, but I'd hate to pay so much money for a bare sole that will wear out fast. I consider all of these to be different than actual moccasins, though.
    Sharon apprenticed under Craig Stanton of Catskill Moccasins. Not sure of her price ,but I know Catskill is more than Sodhoppers and you get the same quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    Sodhoppers are pretty good. I know a lot of people who swear by 'em. Catskill Moccasins is also good, if you're in the New York area. Catskill Mocs take a mold of your foot to build the mocs around. I have a pair. They're a tiny bit tighter than I'd prefer in the toes, but otherwise perfect.

Edit: Seems Sodhoppers also take a mold of your foot. Didn't know that before.
    Yeah, both are good it's just ultimately the difference in the price. The original designer of these types of mocs,back in the 70's, of course had apprentices. As they became makers,they had apprentices. That's how we have the few that make them today such as Catskill,Sodhoppers,and Mystic Soles,aka Bald Mountain Moccasins. In fact,Paul sells a dvd set for apprenticeship. I bought it and it is very detailed. I can actually make my own. Although,I've never bought a sewing machine to make them. That's on my to do list.

Leather socks???
    I second that question. Leather socks????

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I was recently directed to Medieval Moccasin, which has very adjustable sandal-style moccasins. Lots of lacing. They do use a neoprene rubber sole, not sure how thick it is.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishscott View Post
    Yeah, both are good it's just ultimately the difference in the price. The original designer of these types of mocs,back in the 70's, of course had apprentices. As they became makers,they had apprentices. That's how we have the few that make them today such as Catskill,Sodhoppers,and Mystic Soles,aka Bald Mountain Moccasins. In fact,Paul sells a dvd set for apprenticeship. I bought it and it is very detailed. I can actually make my own. Although,I've never bought a sewing machine to make them. That's on my to do list.
    Small world. I bought Paul's DVD but I think I had the wrong kind of leather because I absolutely could not possibly fit into the shoes I was making. The leather was so stiff and hard. I ended up making a hybrid of his method and Sharon the Simple Shoemaking lady's methods.

Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Small world. I bought Paul's DVD but I think I had the wrong kind of leather because I absolutely could not possibly fit into the shoes I was making. The leather was so stiff and hard. I ended up making a hybrid of his method and Sharon the Simple Shoemaking lady's methods.

Yes it is a small world. Paul has a great program doesn't he? Did you have him make you a pair? If I may ask,what type of leather did you use? The ones pictured above look good. I can't really tell,but, did you sew them inside out? The pic kind of looks like where the sole and upper are sewn that it's edge to edge on the outside. I may be wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast