Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnesium Deficiency and Constipation page 2

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I feel it is virtually impossible to be Calcium deficient on a primal/paleo WOE (unless you're doing it wrong). Standard recommendation for Calcium and Magnesium ratio is 2:1, but people are not the same and do not always follow standard way of life.

I wouldn't worry too greatly over magnesium overdose, allow your symptoms to be your guide (bowel tolerance, muscle cramping, etc.). If you are taking higher dose of magnesium, it may not be a horrible idea to occasionally eat more greens (spinach, kale, bok choy). However, with increased Calcium and Vitamin D intake....do not forget Vitamin K2 supplementation.

Potassium and Sodium need to be geared more in a ratio that favors Potassium. 3:1 or 4:1. On the SAD diet the ratio is greatly reversed. Being Primal I think we actually can be quite lacking in sodium (not everyone). For me personally, I find that it is good for me to be able to use Sea Salt pretty freely when ever the opportunity arises.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    I feel it is virtually impossible to be Calcium deficient on a primal/paleo WOE (unless you're doing it wrong). Standard recommendation for Calcium and Magnesium ratio is 2:1, but people are not the same and do not always follow standard way of life.

I wouldn't worry too greatly over magnesium overdose, allow your symptoms to be your guide (bowel tolerance, muscle cramping, etc.). If you are taking higher dose of magnesium, it may not be a horrible idea to occasionally eat more greens (spinach, kale, bok choy). However, with increased Calcium and Vitamin D intake....do not forget Vitamin K2 supplementation.

Potassium and Sodium need to be geared more in a ratio that favors Potassium. 3:1 or 4:1. On the SAD diet the ratio is greatly reversed. Being Primal I think we actually can be quite lacking in sodium (not everyone). For me personally, I find that it is good for me to be able to use Sea Salt pretty freely when ever the opportunity arises.
    Thank you Stephen, that helps. I read that along with Mg, Boron and Vit.s D, C, E, and K are also needed for Ca absorbtion. Do you also have suggeted ratios for those?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12